Murfee

556 New File Panel Is Missing Recents

28 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Recent files has been dropped in this build (on purpose) from the "New Document" dialog, sorry.

It makes sense. Recent files are more appropriate in the Open Dialog?

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Recent files has been dropped in this build (on purpose) from the "New Document" dialog, sorry. It is now just for creating new documents.

Thanks Patrick, that's a shame as the visual reminder was so useful. I know it makes sense for It to just be for creating new documents. Maybe we will get a visual panel for the open recents??

3 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Recent files has been dropped in this build (on purpose) from the "New Document" dialog, sorry. It is now just for creating new documents.

Thanks,was about to post a report on it because had several program freezes when clicking the recents button in the "new" panel.

On 2/13/2020 at 3:34 PM, haakoo said:

Thanks,was about to post a report on it because had several program freezes when clicking the recents button in the "new" panel.

I have had several program freezes when using the "New" panel in the current builds as well, like when trying to add or delete a template folder, so I don't think "Recents" was in itself the cause of the freezes.

Besides, as a few of us have mentioned the visual previews it provides is a useful feature. As for it not being appropriate for the "New" panel, just making it open an unsaved copy of the previewed file would eliminate that (to me trivial) objection & make it even more useful.

16 minutes ago, R C-R said:

just making it open an unsaved copy of the previewed file would eliminate that (to me trivial) objection & make it even more useful.

I agree that making a new document based on a recent file is a good idea (so long as it is very clear to the user that it is a copy). How many times have we all opened a previous document to use as a starting point for a new document, and then forgot to use "Save as" right away, only to discover later that we unintentionally wrote over the original? This suggestion provides a nice alternate path that would avoid that pitfall.