You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

@Lagarto

well, my finnish language skills are....... very...   not existent ;-)  therefore I can not benefit from Voikko...

As far as I have heard, finnish is a very complicated language to learn therefore I guess it´s similar to german
where the grammar and the spelling are closely related. 

kind regards
Fritz

@Lagarto 

I compared the spellchecker of Word 2013 with the one Affinity-Publisher has (for German ).
In german we have many compound nouns. Microsoft handles them better.
perhaps there is some room for improvement...

(the one error Word shows is in fact a typo in the source-text..)

Dic_Publisher.png.21079256c55806858b09bcd9bc3222aa.png

Dic_Word.png.ba3fc7dc19177a5993367d294957dfe7.png

Text taken from an Austrian Newspaper.
copyright-owner: "Die Presse" Verlags-Gesellschaft m.b.H. Co KG

2 hours ago, Lagarto said:

Here you go: ...

Thanks.

This is QXP, using a spell checker XT that adds the squiggle underlines and offers right-click replacement.

This XT (there are ones from two different companies) can use QXP's dictionaries (but then doesn't add the squiggles), Hunspell or the dictionaries used in the OS. (as a side note, Quark is likely going to add such mis-spelled squiggles in an update).

Capture_000478.png.f890e24bb8605d787e1fbcebc870ebf2.png

Supposedly Quark is dropping the update price back down to the $199 price for 2020. We'll see. Not certain I like the new CEO.

Yes, I'm using the OS dictionaries in the above with Spell Checker Pro. I don't know which they are offering. 

To tell the truth, I rarely check spelling in anything unless it's text or art I create. That's the job of the editors that provide the text.

16 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

... Currently they are marketing the 2019 by promising a EUR 100 price raise in April. I am not sure if this makes a good impression on owners of last year license (which could be purchased at half the price) ...

Yes. Quark's advertising is all over the map. I've gotten emails with different pricing, sometime 3 in one week. They are schizoid...

Here's what their VP of Engineering wrote in the closed FB group when I wrote a scathing post after one such email:

----------------

New pricing is only for QuarkXPress 2018 and below customers. For QuarkXPress 2019 customers, this pricing is not valid. It is also mentioned there in the Graphic.

We are also slashing the prices for Advantage plan renewals, instead of 295, it is soon going to change to 195. All active advantage plan members are going to get notified on that very soon.

So, all QuarkXPress 2019 customers on active advantage plan can renew their plan in just $195 and get access to next four Quarterly releases (including the major release) along with telephone support. Of course, if they don't want to renew, the option is still with the user, Bug fix releases will still continue until the product is EOL.

----------------

But, I'll believe when I see it. Until then, I see it as more mis-information.

Which is clearly in contrast with Serif. In fact, some of the trouble I've caused with/to Quark has revolved around suggesting Quark study how Serif treats their customers, how they respond to their customers, etc., etc., etc. While some get upset with Serif for "lack of response," I still hold up Serif as the company to emulate.

• 1 month later...

That's what I did and didn't work. Program version
Affinity Photo 1.8.2.620. And this instruction applies to Affinity Publisher.

I have it and it doesn't work. Uploaded from  libreoffice-dictionaries-6.4.2.2.tar.xz.

C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Photo\Resources\Dictionaries\pl-Pl and 3 xx_XX.dic, xx_XX.aff and hyph_xx_XX.dic 

Edited by Sewer

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi everybody,

I don't want to create another thread about the Polish dictionary/hyphenation problem, so my question is:

I have the language pack(s) already downloaded to my Mac.
WHERE do I move that stuff to make it work?

Publisher 2.3 on Mac OS Ventura.

Thank you.
Paweł

EDIT:
Sorry :P I found it.

Edited by Paweł Jońca

7 hours ago, Paweł Jońca said:

I don't want to create another thread about the Polish dictionary/hyphenation problem, so my question is:

I have the language pack(s) already downloaded to my Mac.
WHERE do I move that stuff to make it work?

EDIT:

Sorry :P I found it.

Don't forget to create a sub-folder named pl_PL for the hyphenation dictionary. Only the hyphenation dictionary goes in that folder on macOS.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)