You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity designer compared to Pageplus... Yes i know

this probably has been said before but bear with me..

i cling to Pageplus for a few reasons.  One of which is to make custom/editable PDF.. Even ones where you can import data into the fields from spreadsheets (after a little converting work)

A have Affinity Phot and it is excellent.. and quick to use..

Does Designer do any of the above.. PDF creation/importing data?

Thanks for viewing... Pageplus is getting a little fractious with Win 10.. but still usable :)

The logical change to PagePlus is Affinity Publisher. Both Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher can export to PDF and can import data from apps like excel

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Although Affinity Publisher is excellent for what it does, do be aware that there are a number of limitations compared with PagePlus. For example, it doesn't support embedded fonts / PDF Pass-through, there is no mail merge and no footnotes/end-notes.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

The best option is also to download the 10 day trial - school to the bottom of the page. Go through a typical workflow for creating the common documents you produce to highlight other queries you might have. The 10 day trial is fully functional and starts from first launch.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

The 10 day trial is fully functional and I believe starts from install. (or does it start from first launch?)

It starts from first launch.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Post amended cheers R C-R

i'm thinking now that the program thinks i want A5 landscape (as a booklet) folded in the middle.. which would make the pages (105mm W x 129 H) portrait.. but i want each page A5 Landscape..

do i require to set the pages as 420mm W x 1149 mm H to get this right? 

not the best start :(

Do not confuse arrangement with orientation. Your screenshot shows the dialogue, when you open Document Setup again. When you create a new document, then you can select there the page size. If you want landscape, just uncheck the Portrait checkbox.

So you already created your document. Now you have to use Spread Setup. Select All Spreads and uncheck the checkbox Portrait.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Just a visual aid to Joachim reply
Screen-Shot-2020-02-06-at-13-06-59.png  Screen-Shot-2020-02-06-at-13-09-16.png

That's also useful 'firstdefence' Thanks for taking the time to do that.

I'm finding my way and getting some results now... not all PagePlus actions are the same.. unlearning can be time consuming :(

However the program IS very responsive and has some things more accessible.. I'm tempted to purchase already

Affinity is always improving and at the moment the 1.8 beta version has a nice new document interface design, see image below.

Screen-Shot-2020-02-06-at-18-17-20.png

The 1.8 update has a way to go a way to go yet but it's definitely something to look forward to.
People are very active on the beta forum helping to improve all the Affinity apps and this is the Publisher Beta forum: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/58-publisher-beta-on-windows/