You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Arrowheads vanish in Decorations after stroke change

You can use arrowheads in Decorations, but if you change the width of the stroke afterwards the arrowheads vanish (revert to none), so you have to select the arrowheads again.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

You can use arrowheads in Decorations, but if you change the width of the stroke afterwards the arrowheads vanish (revert to none), so you have to select the arrowheads again.

Interesting. I hadn't realized that was possible. And good catch about the arrowheads disappearing.

Here's another--First, the Stroke information associated with a paragraph decoration (note the direction of the arrowhead for the start of the line:

image.png.d39fa5f9c15683feb7e7173bc87cbf8f.png

And now note the arrowhead on the actual decoration, which is reversed from what's shown in the stroke settings:

image.png.fd8b69ffac8407566d4ae2e6e1dd9cd8.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

48 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Interesting. I hadn't realized that was possible.

GarryP is to blame. Without his idea using Decorations as bullets, I would not spent time testing. I wonder if even the developers completely know what is possible. ;)

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

22 minutes ago, Gabe said:

It is technically the same issue as this,

Does that apply both to the loss of the arrowhead (Joachim_L's finding) as well as the directionality of the arrowheads being wrong (my finding)?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

20 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I believe so. Any chance you can attach your document? I can't seem to get that at all. 

Sure.

Decoration-arrowhead-direction.afpub

Here's what I see, with the start of the decoration having the arrowhead set:

image.png.57dc0e2ab2cfb930f0e048802caaaee3.png

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff
On 1/28/2020 at 1:40 PM, walt.farrell said:

And now note the arrowhead on the actual decoration, which is reversed from what's shown in the stroke settings:

Hi Walt, 

As things stand this is to be expected. You have to imagine the stroke decoration as sides of a box drawn around the text frame.

Decs.png

21 hours ago, AdamW said:

You have to imagine the stroke decoration as sides of a box drawn around the text frame.

Can't follow this logic. LOL Around means completely around. Means Start is the End and vice versa. Adam was drawing only 3/4 of the box. <- Rubbish. Sorry.

Hmm, looks strange anyway. If we use the order from this toolbar: Left line, top line, right line and bottom line. Circle as start and square as end.

We start now with the left line = Circle in the bottom left corner, square in the top left corner. Next is top line, as expected circle in the bottom left corner, square in the top right corner. Next is right line, as expected circle in the bottom left corner, square in the bottom right corner. Next is bottom line. Erm, both arrowheads are now top left corner? Why are not start and end at the bottom left corner? What is the logic behind that?

------