You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sharing a comparison result for Black management in CMYK

Hi Affinity,

Since V 1.7 I'm not really understanding the Affinity logic to handle CMYK and specially the Black color. 

I have already started a topic here where "thomaso" has helped me so much (thank to him) but i was not really satisfied...
I've been working in prepress since 1986, when there was no computer yet in that profession. Just to say that I know what CMYK is :-) I worked 12 years with Quark XP and then 18 years with Indesign.

I would really like to change all my old habits for this new Affinity tool, but it is really hard to understand the colors management logic of Affinity. Specially in CMYK mode.

Down you will find a JPG with my results on comparison 17. vs 1.8. Somethings are good, other just ... sort of regression.

The 1.7 and 1.8 PDF are done with exactly same parameters. All 1.7 and 1.8 publisher files are done in same configuration and color mode. I would appreciate all your feedback about that... if it can help me to change old bad habits :-)

ap17-vs-ap18b-comparison2.jpg

I would have much to say about this colour issue(s) but I think there are already bugs logged. I will wait over the holidays for the next beta release to do more tests to get a clearer vision. 
I‘m with you as I come from a similar background and am willing to learn new ways and break old habits. I‘m all in to start my upcoming projects in Affinity first, just to get a more realistic feeling what is missing, although thats very risky for me from a business perspective. 

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

Hi Woefi, thanks for your feedback here :)

I'm starting to do all my projects with Publisher (i did not renew my Adobe yearly subscription this december). The first projet is a monthly newspaper. So i'm a bit scared, but this is how I replace Xpress with Indesign 19 years ago :-) - At this time, a lot of feature was still missing in Indesign. So it is not my first time.

I'm checking and re-cheking my test PDF and it seems good. But my production suffers...

• 3 weeks later...

Our digital printing customers are being suggested to try this software to replace other more expensive softwares for their workflow. 

The overprint issues and the lack of PDF passtrough are dealbreakers when it comes to suggest it for offset printing usage... Hope it gets solved soon.

Hi Savage... I totaly agree with you. Even if i have already upgrade from A.... product to Affinity. I just take very care of this on my PDF and my jobs are OK. But solve this would be really appreciated :-)

Yeah, i'm trying to solve it on an other topic in this forum. see it here

I already had overprinting issues before, and unforntunatelly i was told it's supposed to be like that... Which i obviously disagree.

As for you issues in another topic, you are rasterizing unsupported properties. If shadows and transparencies are some of those properties, then they are being rasterized and fall under the topic below.

I still hope someone at Affinity fixes this, otherwise it's useless for offset printing. 

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using the pre 1.8.0 beta builds. It appears that a member of the Affinity QA team didn't get round to fully investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight. Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script. 

Now we have released 1.8.3 on all platforms containing many hundreds of bug fixes, and we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. If you still have this problem in the 1.8.3 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again it in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

This thread has now been locked as the QA team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the release build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon