hi, i am having trouble trying to get a square pixel,  i am using the basic brush which used to get me the square pixel and i have clicked on the "create square brush" but it stays round ?

Hi mick560 :)

Using the 'create square brush' option won't convert the current brush you're using from round to square, it will create a new brush at the bottom of the brush category that is currently active.

Please scroll to the bottom of this category and check for me, are these new brushes being created?

These are square brushes you can import

Square Brushes.afbrushes

Affinity Photo  1.7.3.481   - Beta 1.8.0.486

Windows 10 Home  1903 (build 18362.418) - 64 bit processor - AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD Graphics  1.50GHz - RAM 8,00 GB
Calibrated Monitor (Datacolor Spyder5 Pro)

Click the More button on the context toolbar and in the General Tab there is a rotation slider to rotate the brush or if the square pixel is on its own layer you can select it with the Move Tool and just rotate it that way - I'm not sure exactly what you want to do

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

Or, while painting with the brush, the arrow keys will allow rotation of the brush, if that's what you want to accomplish.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta