You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AP] raster_brushes.propcol file size after Brushes reset too large?

R C-R

My raster_brushes.propcol file (in the ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/user/ folder on my Mac) was a hefty 1.37 GB & filled with brush categories I never use, so I decided to reset it to defaults using the Preferences > Miscellaneous > Reset Brushes option.

To my great surprise, the file size did not change at all, even though there were only around 1/6 as many brushes in the default categories. Next, I tried using the CTRL key startup option & selecting only the "Reset Brushes" option, which (to my relief) reduced the propcol file size to a mere 11 KB.

All the default brushes seem to work as expected after either reset & the propcol file size has remained 11 KB through several restarts of Affinity Photo (version 1.7.2).

So I would like to know if this is the expected behavior, caused by something weird specific to my Mac, considered to be a bug introduced in a 1.7 update, or what.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hmmm, that made me curious, so I took a look at those same files on my computer.
Guess what : 
Photo Beta the /user dir = 161KB, the raster propcol file = 13KB (no extra brush categories loaded)
In Photo MAS version 1.7.2. the /user dir = 2,64GB and the raster propcol file = 2,24GB.

I've got quite a few extra brushes categories loaded in the MAS version, in which each & every seperate brush constitutes a little pic file.

That could add up.
So, maybe that's why the propcol file is so large ?

44 minutes ago, catlover said:

So, maybe that's why the propcol file is so large ?

What I am trying to figure out is why the file is so large after using the Preferences > Miscellaneous > Reset Brushes option. This suggests that unlike the  the CTRL key startup option to reset brushes (which I think deletes both existing brush propcol files & replaces them with fresh copies of just the defaults from somewhere in the app), it doesn't actually remove anything from the file, just somehow marks everything that isn't in the defaults as unused or something.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

When I first read your post, I checked those files a couple of times by way of the Finder > File > Get Info method.
The results were not consistent : the numbers differed with each check ... (????)

Then, I did the same checks using Commander One : results were consistent.

Which makes me wonder : could it be something in the Mac File System that causes various results using Preferences > Miscellaneous > Reset Brushes .
Perhaps that method is not quite the same as CTRL startup, which (i think) is supposed to wipe caches.
Sorry, can't get back to normal type, it stays in bold.

Reset Brushes may only flag the changes in the propcol file but not actually flush the file.

It may be programmed to flush the file after a set amount of changes or it may be faulty

I think we need some sort of "courtesy flush" button in preferences that flushes out all the propcol files' redundant data as this has cropped up before with macros and assets

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 hours ago, catlover said:

When I first read your post, I checked those files a couple of times by way of the Finder > File > Get Info method.
The results were not consistent : the numbers differed with each check ... (????)

Finder can be 'lazy' about updating file size & other changes to file metadata, so sometimes it needs a kick in the pants (like doing a 'Get Info' on a file or switching to a different folder & back again) to show the correct info. But I made sure I did that (& more) to make sure I was getting accurate file size info, so it seems obvious that the 2 brush reset methods do not do the same thing.

Affinity Photo