You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Andy:  10.10.3 here - and thanks for looking at this!   I'll keep exploring ...

Mike:  Mesa to Edinburgh (airports)

Ah. Now I see. And sure. Just send me a ticket (well, I will need two because my wife will not be happy if I go to Edinburgh by myself).

Actually the Mesa airport (AZA) is largely freight with very few passenger flights and you can not really get a "through" flight from Mesa to much of anywhere because combined flights just don't seem to exist. I (we?) would have to fly from Phoenix and that airport code is PHX.

Business class would be nice ...

Bill,

I had also begun to wonder if the problem might be related to the fact that your earlier Aperture Libraries were created with OS X versions prior to Yosemite and perhaps there is some problem with their forward compatibility. I will check my system backups to see if I have any Aperture Libraries created before I installed Yosemite but it will have to wait until my wife and I get back from our camping trip we are starting on today.

I know PHX well, Mike, from work and also en route to vacationing in Sedona.  I think there was one occasion where I had enough air miles to upgrade too!  Just thought about adding a wee bit of local color by suggesting AZA.

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

Further trials suggested that there is a glimmer of hope in A_B_C's suggestion (#11), and I set out to clean up MB by deleting all the test Aperture libraries made when attempting to make some sense of things, and repopulate MB by creating a couple of new ones in Pictures in my Home directory.  However the test libraries (red rectangles in the attached) refuse to disappear from MB even though they are no longer accessible in Aperture.

A new library created by populating with albums from existing ones worked (in MB) but one created by copying an existing library to the Pictures folder did not, and merging such a library with one that was visible in MB resulted in no change in MB (that is, the Albums in the original version of the new library were still accessible in the second, enlarged, version, but the content added from the merge procedure is not to be seen, or not in MB at any rate, but it is all there and in good shape when the library is opened in Aperture).

I do hope that this can either be fixed or ascribed to some idiot-action on my part (and therefore ignored) before release, as an entry in the "About AP" that says "Access your Aperture library from Media Browser" should attract lots of attention.

post-7000-0-29418400-1435508815_thumb.png

Hi Bill,

have you considered to create a new user account through Apple > System Preferences on OS X, as I suggested? As far as I can see, you are still working in your old Pictures folder. If you cannot get things working on the present account, you might be able to test by setting up a new user through System Preferences, if there is something wrong with your current set-up.

How to set up a new user account: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18891?locale=en_US

Cheers, Alex  :)

By the way, Andy,

I get two libraries displayed in Media Browser, while there is just one on my HD. Furthermore, I see strange things when reloading my library (-ies) in the Media Browser (OS X Lion) … but fortunately I can see my data … phew.  :)

As I said, creating a new user account helps clearing up things, but I would be happy as well, if it was possible to fix these issues before launching AP.

Cheers, Alex  :)

MB.mov

Hi Alex

Yes I understand what you are suggesting and will do that as a step in the debugging process.  At this time though I'm in agreement with your comment "creating a new user account helps clearing up things" - we really need MB to work for everyone if possible, without having to create new accounts or put up with extraneous libraries in MB - the default should be "if it opens in Aperture it should open in MB"!

Regards (and thanks)

Bill

Re Media Browser not working :-   I tried again this morning ... some folders in Photos work but Aperture seems to return empty.

OS x 10.10.3   Affinity Photo 1.2.1.26379   .  So far my fix has been to open Aperture and round trip to Affinity Photo.  That gives me Apertures database. 
I noticed an alternative library editor system called 'Emulsion'.    I did not try it as I am getting loaded with 'alternatives' to test. However, it may be a model for an improved (and working) MB?

It is interesting that with this and Aperture you can batch process the processing and the meta.  'Lift and Stamp' was a very clever and useful facility.

@jerryfn

Yes, I currently do that, but (a) I don't want to as I prefer to work on NEF files and the round trip sends TIFFs and (b) Media Browser would be ideal if only I could get it to work!  (And I agree with your comments re Emulsion!)

@Jonas14

What happens when you try to open the Aperture 2014 and 2015 libraries?  Do they open at all?  Do they show the Projects and Albums?  I can open other libraries in the Pictures folder (e.g sent there from Nikon's ViewNX 2).

Thanks Jonas14.  My frustration level has now doubled  :blink:

Are these libraries in their original location or have you ever moved them, for example to an external HD?

A_B_C and jonas

Are your Aperture libraries managed or referenced ones?

It may be coincidence, but I have created an extensive new Aperture library, which mimics the structure of an existing (managed) one,  by exporting the folders in the original and importing as New Projects in a new referenced library - and it works perfectly  :)

Jonas

I'm not sure what you mean - perhaps you could reply in German and either A_B_C (or my nephew who is a languages teacher) could translate?

I think that you are saying you have a hard drive named HALLO that contains original images that can be located and opened in Media Browser.  Your thumbnail in #37 shows 2 Aperture libraries in addition to HALLO.  Can you open these in MB?

Regards

Bill

Are your Aperture libraries managed or referenced ones?

I would say, it’s the standard managed one … if you mean by “managed” that all my images are imported directly into the Aperture library package in my Pictures folder. Does that help?  :)

By the way, I started creating a "national park" version of the OS on an external HD, as you suggested elsewhere. And I am stunned by the speed and grip of Yosemite … makes me think about changing my system … do you know if Adobe CS 6 runs smoothely on Yosemite?  Until Publisher is released I fear I have to stick with this …  ;)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.