You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text style fill rounded borders

I'm trying to create a "fancy" header by adding a fill to a header style. I wanted to create rounded borders (100%), but I couldn't find an option for this in the text style dialog. I already tried adding a rectangle, and create a text frame from it, but things get really wonky when I want to add it inline in the text. Is there a way to add this to the text style?

image.png.67c6893102fc7de7bbad3186141c18c1.png

20 hours ago, johannesz said:

I wanted to create rounded borders (100%), but I couldn't find an option for this in the text style dialog.

You can easily do it in inDesign. You can control each corner independently.

This is not possible in Publisher at the moment.

In many respects Decorations in Publisher are more powerful than inDesign equivalent features.

However, controlling corners is sorely lacking here. I hope that this will be added in the near future.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Or create a rounded rectangle, fill it with color, right-click it and convert it into a text frame, and add your text. 

As I've written I've tried that. Things get really weird: For one I can do nothing with the rectangle anymore (change color for example). Also, add the rectangle as inline to a text frame is really weird: the line in which the rectangle is, has it's own styling making indentations and margins really weird sadly.

22 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

it does have certain drawbacks such as not being to change the fill color anymore.

Once you've converted the rounded rectangle to a text frame, you can still control the fill of the frame, using the Text Frame studio panel (assuming we're talking about Publisher).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome, Hilltop.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

4 hours ago, johannesz said:

As I've written I've tried that. Things get really weird: For one I can do nothing with the rectangle anymore (change color for example). Also, add the rectangle as inline to a text frame is really weird: the line in which the rectangle is, has it's own styling making indentations and margins really weird sadly.

You can control the fill color via the Text Frames panel, as I mentioned to Hilltop above. I'm not sure what you mean about problems when you put the rectangle in-line with your text.

Can you prepare a small sample .afpub file that demonstrates that? Perhaps there's something off in your settings that we can spot.

-- Walt
PC:

18 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You can control the fill color via the Text Frames panel, as I mentioned to Hilltop above. I'm not sure what you mean about problems when you put the rectangle in-line with your text.

Can you prepare a small sample .afpub file that demonstrates that? Perhaps there's something off in your settings that we can spot.

Wow thanks about the Text Frame Panel info. I thought it already was in the right pane automatically; didn't know there was another panel specifically for text frames.

I attached a file showcasing my "issue". So here "Header 1" is inline with my filler text. You can see that there's a margin from the paragraph coming before it - which is fine. And you see that there is a margin after the header. "Header 1" has no way of controlling this margin however. It's the line where this inline object is added to that defines the margin. And on top of that it's super hard to select this line...

inline with text problem.afpub