You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Aff. Publisher 1.7.2, MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)

Not really bugs but annoying deficiencies in user interface :

1. I can find no way to keep all frame boundaries visible, making it impossible to butt one against another. (No snap on here.)

2. After detaching a master page (via ctrl-click menu), the 'Finish' button is obscured by the studio. 

3. I like the listing of matches following Find but when you highlight one in that list, it really should be highly in the text also.  In fact, the first instance ought to be highlit there anyway.

4. The rendering of a page still doesn't look anything like as clean as it does in InDesign, somehow.

5. I can find no way to directly kill an instance of hyphenation.

6. InDesign's 'Composer' does a better job of formatting a paragraph. Not sure exactly what it does, but it seems to juggle tracking as it lays out a paragraph, and perhaps hyphenation. I can only match it in Publisher by applying different tracking to individual sentences and words.

I do NOT mean to be negative here, just helping with aspiration. Over all, I'm happy with the job Publisher does and am moving over to it (despite CS5.5 working acceptably well on High Sierra). I don't feel the need to catalogue the things it does better than InDesign. The recent MacFormat review said enough. Well done guys, but please keep at it (especially Footnotes and IDML import).

1. Assuming you mean Text Frames, View > Show Text Flow should resolve that and other problems (such as easily finding frames with overflowing text). Also, snapping does work for Text Frames, but if the frame you want to snap to is inherited from a Master Page then you need to be editing in Detached mode to enable the snapping to work.

2. Do you have a floating (not docked) studio panel? If so, you may need to move it as they will hide other interface elements.

3. They are highlighted on Windows. If they're not for you, and you're using the latest release of Publisher, that probably is a bug.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1. And don't work in Preview mode, it's a means to check the end result, but not good for working with precision (View > Preview mode).

3. There's a bug and recent posts about this.

5. Try to select your word and in the Character panel apply the "No break" option.

6. There are discussions about this too…

4. "... anything ... clean ... somehow." – What do you want to say exactly?

5. I can find a way to directly kill an instance of hyphenation in the Character Panel > Transform ... > no break 

645067627_hyphenationnobreak.jpg.d92fca8374b299b197e3d00d657b264a.jpg

2 hours ago, beast said:

I do NOT mean to be negative here, just helping with aspiration.

Hm? :( Hasn't your self decided to post personally views and disappointments – which partially result of not being used to the UI yet – as a Bug report, instead of using the more obvious forum sections "Support & Questions" or, in particular, "Feedback – Feature Requests, Suggestions ..." to either ask about a feature or to aspire for help?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1. I was editing in detached mode.  View/Text Flow is not very intuitive. A View/Text Frames option would be better, or perhaps making them visible following View/Guides.

2. Studio panels docked, where they obscure 'Finished.'

3.  Noted that bug already acknowledged.

4. By clean I mean sharply defined plus quality of appearance generally. Something ain't quite right. Compare with InDesign, like for like, and I think you'd agree.

5. Thanks, though I do find the Transform panel a little odd sometimes. Looking in a 'Transform' panel for the exact size of a frame, for example, is not what I'd expect.

6. Thanks. Will seek out those discussions.

On 8/31/2019 at 5:10 AM, beast said:

6. InDesign's 'Composer' does a better job of formatting a paragraph.

On 8/31/2019 at 8:08 AM, Wosven said:

6. There are discussions about this too…

On 8/31/2019 at 10:11 AM, beast said:

6. Thanks. Will seek out those discussions.

Here is one of those discussions. We all have our own personally most desired features to be added, and this is one I am hoping for the most.