You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No, Designer does not offer that function. Perhaps in the future, but for now it requires the Text Frame studio panel, which is available only in Publisher.

I'm a bit surprised that Designer did not remove the fill when you converted the Rectangle to a Text Frame; it does for me using 1.7.2.471 on Windows (as it did in 1.6, but not (I believe) in 1.7.0 and 1.7.1).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Here Designer removes the fill when a shape is turned into a text frame. And there is no way of changing the background color.

To change the background color first duplicate the shape you intend to convert to a text frame and group them. The new text frame has a transparent background so you can change the color of the shape under it to whatever color you want. Or just move it over any other shape of any color.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Thank you. We work on Mac OS X an we have a work around: open the document in Publisher, change the colour, save and then open in Affinity Designer again. So please don't remove the possibility to convert aa object to a text frame and keep the colour. But of course the possibility to edit text frames in Affinity Designer would be perfect.

iMac 27'', Mac OS X Ventura 13.2.1 (22D68)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

In fact, I've found a bug. The Text Frame menu was not removed from the AD completely. It can be still accessed from the "text on path" top panel. However, if you edit, e.g. a stroke, it will be applied to any further artistic text, even not on a path. To remove it, you have to start text on path again and reset the Text Frame parameters.
Also, I not only find it completely non-sense to remove the Text Frame feature from AD, but quite the opposite in fact - Text Frame shall be accessible from everywhere! I do have Publisher, but I feel rather retarded to use two separate apps for editing a frame of the text. Thank you.

Edited by ValeryOD

1 hour ago, ValeryOD said:

It can be still accessed from the "text on path" top panel

Yes, that's one of the best known bugs… er, "secret features", and one of the very few that everybody hopes it won't be fixed too soon. ;)
Works in Photo, too.
Doesn't work in Separated Mode though.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Just now, RainerH said:

But there opens no text-frame-panel by clicking on the Icon

Aha, keine Ahnung obs auch auf Windows funktioniert. Auf Mac gehts nur im Ein-Fenster-Modus. Dann kannst du den Panel zu den anderen einfügen und alles als Studio Preset sichern, um ihn nicht jedesmal suchen zu müssen.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2