You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reset Formatting button

The Reset Formatting button on the Text Styles studio does not work (is grayed out) if there is no style override on the first character of a text selection.

Here is a sample video where I make a color override in the middle of a paragraph. If the first character in the selection has the override, clicking the Reset Formatting button works. But if I select the whole paragraph, I cannot use the Reset Formatting button, because the first character in that paragraph has no override. If I make an override to the first character in that paragraph (it can be a different kind of override as the one in the middle), then I can select the whole paragraph and use Reset Formatting, which will clear both overrides.

The behavior I would expect is that I can select a portion of text, and if there is an override anywhere in the selected text, I should be able to use the button to reset all overrides. A fix may be as simple as allowing the button to be used on any selection whether there is an override or not, because the end result should be no override, whether or not there was an override to start with.

Similarly, it is my opinion that the "Current Formatting" box is a little misleading in that it only reports the current formatting of the very first character of any selection. If a selection has mixed formatting, it would be more useful if it either simply said, "[mixed formatting]" or reported the what is in common in the whole selection and [mixed] to indicate the points not in common, such as "Style + Italic + [mixed]."

Someone else some time ago commented on similar behavior in various input boxes, where it shows the setting of the first character of a selection, even if there are mixed values across the selection. I agree, and I confess I prefer InDesign's approach here. For example, if I have a selection of text that contains both 12pt and 14pt, Publisher reports 12pt in the text size input, while InDesign leaves it blank, which we take to mean it is mixed. Thus, we can tell at a glance if a given attribute has a uniform or mixed value across a selection.

Until the override formatting issue gets fixed:

As a 2-step workaround you alternatively can use the button "Revert to Defaults" first and than re-assign your style.
699308518_revertdefaultsKopie.jpg.ef85ad90c0d516707ce283ab5503d85a.jpg  

If you need to do it several times it might even be useful to first synchronize the default with a wanted style and then just use the dfaults button without the need to re-assign the style to the reverted text frame.
906592758_defaults-synchronize.jpg.8675edc123aff011d56f30a879c5bd23.jpg

14 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

Someone else some time ago commented on similar behavior in various input boxes,

Though that topic about confusing values for more than 1 selected objects got logged already, it unfortunately isn't fixed yet in the v442 beta.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 7 months later...
2 minutes ago, AdrianB said:

I've ran into this as well. It would be super useful to be able to clear all formatting of all selected text no matter where the insert point is to begin with, or even all text when a text frame is selected. 

As a workaround, I have found that the menu item Text->Reapply Text Styles works in most situations.

12 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

As a workaround, I have found that the menu item Text->Reapply Text Styles works in most situations.

Oh, thank you, I didn't know about that command! Works fine for selected text with multiple text styles (but did not work for an entire selected text frame, but that is not a big issue).