You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bluring only the edges of images is an important feature I used a lot in Indesign and I really miss it in Publisher. I was looking for such a function in fx - like it is in Indesign - without sucess. Of course, there is the transparency tool, but with that, I can only blur one side.

Adding an additional option to blur specific sides with transparency tool or making an fx, both would work, but probably best is having it an fx, makes more sense. Important is, one does not have to go over and do a pixel edit in Afphoto, so as to preserve the original image and being able to try around within the publisher layout.

I dont see this possible with masks either, as the seems to be no function to blur edges of a vector rectangle also. Would anyway be too complicated in comparison.

Is this the sort of thing you want?

blur-image-edge.png

Assuming that it is, it’s fairly easy to do but you need an extra layer.
Basically:
* Make a new rectangle – or whatever shape your image is – the same size as the image;
* Set its Fill to None and its Stroke Colour to White;
* Make the Stroke thick – depends on how much you want to blur;
* Set its Blend Mode to Lighten;
* Give it a Gaussian Blur – amount depends on your requirements.
See attached AFPUB file for an example.

blur-image-edge.afpub

Edited by GarryP
Added instructions (couldn't wait for answer).

same effect a bit different way: 

It is possible to create a mask by command-clicking the target layer to make a selection and use it a mask (though mask handling is unnecessarily complicated in Photo).

11 hours ago, GarryP said:

Set its Blend Mode to Lighten

This is only appropriate for a white background image.
However, if you need to include the image to colored background or other image,
image.png.2dca8086915a7fb8e4fe228169657a34.png

so it is advisable to set Blend mode to Erase (with group encapsulation to apply Erase only to the desired image).
image.png.d47d7a88204e363f225afa03727afe92.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

That’s a neat trick.
I’ve noticed that you need to keep the size of the blur below a certain value or the effect is destroyed.
Also, an Opacity of anything other than 100% removes the effect completely but I don’t know why.

A good effect all the same.

P.S: Removing the blur, setting the Opacity low and giving the rectangle an Outline effect gives a quite-pleasing ‘double-inner/outer-frame’ (see attached). Not particularly relevant in this case but I thought I’d mention it in case anyone was interested.

double-inner-outer-frame.png

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

I’ve noticed that you need to keep the size of the blur below a certain value or the effect is destroyed.

Yes, the blur parameters are quite sensitive. The amount of blur also reduces the amount of erase. I'd rather do it in AD using jagged/furry frame brushes.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I have a feeling that adding an Inner Glow effect might also work if the Erase blend mode was available there, but it’s not for some reason.
A similar effect can be obtained by using a Centre Inner Glow in a Black-filled rectangle (with Blend Mode Erase) which is then used as a mask for the image (see attached image an AFPUB file).
Not a great solution but it might have some use to someone
Yeah, doesn’t look like Publisher is the best place to do this sort of thing at the moment.

blur-image-edges2.png

blur-image-edge2.afpub

Right. Yes, thats the thing. Bluring edges.

I just noted the transparency tool does not even work on images.

I am aware that I can of course use masks for this. But this used to be a two clicks (5 seconds) thing for me in Indesign or XPress. So I am really missing that flexibility.

The Transparency tool is working just fine for me too on non-beta - on images and most other things - and I have never noticed any major problems with it that I can’t attribute to something I might have done wrong.
Have you read the Help information? Tools → Layout Tools → Transparency.
I’ve attached a short GIF to give a brief example (please excuse the awful way the colours have come out).
P.S. If you create a feature request the team might create a “Blur Edges” effect some day.

transparency.gif