You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ignore shape in Text Frame

Is it possible within a shape text frame (specifically a rounded rectangle in this case) to ignore the non-square shape when the text is placed?

When I enter text in a rounded rectangle, the text that encounters the round is moved to the right to avoid the shape. But I want it to be left-aligned with the rest of the content of the frame. See the "desired" image vs. the "result" (current reality) image.

affinity-desired.jpg

affinity-result.jpg

• Staff

Hi ryan_d and Welcome to the Forums,

This is possible :)

If you select the text 'Section Header' and on the Paragraph Studio (View>Studio>Paragraph) set the Use Space before from Only at start of Paragraph to any of the other 2 options.  Then start increasing the number in the Space Before Paragraph box and you should see the text starting to move into position  :) 

Do you have indents set for the Paragraph Style? Check both First line and Left.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Highlight the "Section Header" text and in the Text Frame panel change left Inset from 0.15" to 0"

Highlight the second line of text and in the Paragraph panel change left Indent from 0" to about 0.17"

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Yep - can definitely do that. Was hoping for a way to set a margin for the text frame itself so that any text added would honor it. But if there's no way to get that initial text to ignore the curve of the rounded rectangle, I'll probably end up doing what you suggested. Thanks carl123.

So I've switched it to use two objects, grouped them and added them as assets to be reused later. When I add the asset to the document it looks great. However, the group will inherently have different heights. I've constrained the Section Header object to the top only, so it isn't affected when the group is resized. But I can't seem to get the main text item (with the rounded corners) to resize without also distorting the rounded corners. 

Ultimately I'm going to be passing this off as a template and need to make it as easy as possible for the other person to use.

rounded rectangle problem 2.afpub