You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I work on documents that are image heavy, sometimes with 200 or more photos and illustrations. I have searched for a video or even some instruction as to how Resource Manager works. Foe example if I move 50 images to a new folder it looks like I have to relink each one of them. As an InDesigner user I'm finding Resource Manager pretty much useless, managing images this way is very time consuming. Will there be a vedeo on this subject produced? At the moment Resource Manager seems to have been ignored.

Thanks, BW

• Staff
20 hours ago, Basil said:

Foe example if I move 50 images to a new folder it looks like I have to relink each one of them

If you moved them all to the same folder, you should just need to relink the one you are prompt to when you open the file.  Publisher will then find the others in that same folder.  Thats what happened for me on my Mac.  Linking/embedding and the Resource Manager is covered in this tutorial: https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/337294349

10 hours ago, stokerg said:

If you moved them all to the same folder, you should just need to relink the one you are prompt to when you open the file.  Publisher will then find the others in that same folder. 

It would be nice if the help files mentioned this, but if they do I can't find it.

A bit off topic but related: I had hoped that I could get around the need to relink by linking to a Mac OS Alias of the file instead of to the linked file itself to take advantage of the dynamic nature of Mac aliases, but that does not work -- even if I just move the referenced file to a subfolder of its original location, which should still allow the Mac OS to resolve the alias to the file in its new location, I still get the "Missing Resources" notification.

It would be cool if that worked, but I suppose it would be a Mac-only feature the developers might not be willing to implement.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

39 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I had hoped that I could get around the need to relink by linking to a Mac OS Alias of the file

From that article, it sounds like just another name for a UNIX or Linux symlink (specifically a soft link, not a hard link). Windows has that same function, for what it's worth.

Generally speaking, soft links work only with some kinds of file access APIs. Hard links should work with both, so you might try your test using hard links, instead. (I presume that MacOS, as basically a UNIX variant, supports them, probably via the ln command.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

From that article, it sounds like just another name for a UNIX or Linux symlink (specifically a soft link, not a hard link). Windows has that same function, for what it's worth.

No, they are not symbolic links, neither hard nor soft. Mac OS aliases are dynamic, containing various info (as explained in the linked article) so the OS can track (or guess) file path changes, as long as they remain in the same file system. That's why Mac users can move files around without breaking aliases to them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

So far I haven't had luck re-linking files that were moved to a new folder, I only have 2 options in Resource Manager, 'Locate' or 'Replace'.

If I click Locate nothing happens, even with an image selected...If I hit Replace I can chase up the image and it will be replaced, but it does not link the rest of the images to that folder. This isn't much faster than doing the same without using Resource Manager.

The only tutorial I have found doesn't go into Resource Manager in detail so at the moment its usefulness is quite limited.

As far as I understand

Locate will simply display the page in your document where that file is used (not where the file is on disk)

Replace in the Resources Manager will just replace the one file.

If you have moved files then when you open the document and are prompted about missing files, relink one of them at that point and the other files in that folder should also relink automatically

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

If you have moved files then when you open the document and are prompted about missing files, relink one of them at that point and the other files in that folder should also relink automatically

I think that's correct, but there's a possible point of confusion. When you get the prompt during Open, you are asked if you want to locate the missing files, and given 3 choices:

•  No. Obviously, this does nothing.
  • Yes, which picks one file, and presents it to you in a Finder or File Explorer window, so you can locate the replacement. You have only the filename available, no preview to tell you which image it is. If you pick a replacement image, and there are others that were missing in the same folder, they will all be relinked.
  • Resource Manager. We asked for this option during the beta, because the Yes option was too difficult to use (lacking any kind of image preview). Using Resource Manager is easier at this point during Open, but unfortunately it will only relink the images you tell it to. It will not find all the others, as the Yes choice will.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes perhaps some confusion but I have discovered part of my problem, and resulting confusion.

I imported an 80 page pdf file with about 200 images but when I did this Publisher did not as for an image folder to link to, it used the ones in the pdf and gave them all names. Not being aware of this I was getting confused when I tried to link to the original image folder.

Now it's a matter of getting the system to use the images I originally used and not the ones it took from the pdf. But from what I can tell Resource Manager can't do that. All 200 images have to be placed by hand. This is probably the best we can expect for now when moving InDesign and other files to Publisher.