You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Display of Fonts in Outline/Keyline view

Hey guys, an important observation: when in outline view, regular editable text is displayed as outlines. This is hopefully an oversight, definitely not a ideal in a production environment. Editable text should be displayed as solid black text, or another non-outline style — outlines should only be used for text when the Convert to Outlines command has been applied to it — for the following reason: oftentimes, we provide files with all fonts converted to outlines. The easiest way to check whether a file's text has already been converted to outlines is, believe it or not, switching to Outline View! The way in which AD currently behaves, there is no way to know if text is converted to outlines or not...

Thanks for all you do. I hope this can make it on the next beta!

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

Hi Ronnie,

To ensure your text is exported as curves, you can check the Export text as curves for font independence in the export dialog. I believe this option will be available in all formats that support editable text.

I think the main purpose of an outline view is to help to see/select objects in complex drawings. Making the text solid will defeat this purpose. The problem isn't just with clipping. Any object over the text (when you create text effects - like water drops over some letters for example) will not be seen too.

I agree with leaving it the way it is.  It's nice to see the outlines especially for vinyl cutting.  Having a solid font wouldn't allow me to see overlapping fonts or other issues as stated above.  It works great in my production environment so I would have to disagree with ronnyb on this one.  If you wanted to incorporate an option(checkbox) to display fonts as outlines in outline view then I'd be OK with that but I need to be able to keep the outline mode the way it is.

Outline mode should be exactly what it is... An outline.

post-4966-0-67584600-1431973312_thumb.png

post-4966-0-52690000-1431973409_thumb.png

Matt, what if it's a hybrid, so when editable text is clipping, it displays in 50% gray WITH outlines in 100% (as currently displaying), but if it's not clipping, it's solid black?

I was just about to add this tweak - but had a thought... What would you expect to happen if the text was clipping some other objects? You wouldn't be able to see their outlines?

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks for that tip Miguel, I was aware of that, but I still like to see it with my eyes. Also, sometimes I'll open an old file and not know if I had already converted text to outlines... so it's not only needed for exporting files, but while the file is open, to check if it's editable text or curves...

Hi Ronnie,

To ensure your text is exported as curves, you can check the Export text as curves for font independence in the export dialog. I believe this option will be available in all formats that support editable text.

I think the main purpose of an outline view is to help to see/select objects in complex drawings. Making the text solid will defeat this purpose. The problem isn't just with clipping. Any object over the text (when you create text effects - like water drops over some letters for example) will not be seen too.

I agree with you on this one, signguy; I would add it as a UI preference setting so that those who benefit from the current set-up can take advantage, and those who prefer the other way can do so as well...

SinglyI agree with leaving it the way it is.  It's nice to see the outlines especially for vinyl cutting.  Having a solid font wouldn't allow me to see overlapping fonts or other issues as stated above.  It works great in my production environment so I would have to disagree with ronnyb on this one.  If you wanted to incorporate an option(checkbox) to display fonts as outlines in outline view then I'd be OK with that but I need to be able to keep the outline mode the way it is.

Outline mode should be exactly what it is... An outline.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Also, sometimes I'll open an old file and not know if I had already converted text to outlines... so it's not only needed for exporting files, but while the file is open, to check if it's editable text or curves...

I agree with you ronnyb on this one.  It's difficult to know if you have already converted editable text to curves or not and the view doesn't help to make that determination.  I always have to save my document as editable text before I convert to curves so that way the next time I need to change something, I can easily do it without having to remember the point size and font name.  Or, I have to duplicate all my text fields and hide them before converting to curves so I at least have something that I can edit the next time.

ronnyb,

I agree with you, this is something that is very important and useful to anyone doing prepress work or preparing files to be sent to a commercial printer. You can check which fonts are outlines and which ones are not very quickly. I requested this feature a couple of months ago but no one posted anything about it and so I just figured that I was one of the few that used it in Illustrator (

Hokusai

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.