You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7.0.14 RC1 - Crash - Reproducible

• Staff

Thanks for the file and video - unfortunately I've been unable to reproduce the issue. The only obvious difference I can see is that I don't have the Brilon_1.2 font on my system. Would you be able to temporarily remove this font and see if you can still reproduce the crash? Also what version of macOS are you using?

20 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Thanks for the file and video - unfortunately I've been unable to reproduce the issue. The only obvious difference I can see is that I don't have the Brilon_1.2 font on my system. Would you be able to temporarily remove this font and see if you can still reproduce the crash? Also what version of macOS are you using?

Here is the same file with the font converted to curves. I can make it crash this way too. Just a note. I'm using a wacom tablet, but it crashes with the mouse too. Mac OS 10.14.5

Edit: I can make it crash everytime i do the same procedure.

DuarteCC.afdesign

Edited by dcarvalho84

On 5/31/2019 at 9:50 AM, dcarvalho84 said:

Here is the same file with the font converted to curves. I can make it crash this way too.

FWIW, I can't make the beta crash by following your steps with this file on my iMac running macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.14 RC1. I do not have a Wacom tablet, so I can't test with that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

13 minutes ago, R C-R said:

FWIW, I can't make the beta crash by following your steps with this file on my iMac running macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.14 RC1. I do not have a Wacom tablet, so I can't test with that.

Thanks, but i've tested again today and have a crash just repeting the steps. Don't know what it could be but i can make it crash with the mouse too. I will wait for the new version and will take a look at this then.

Edit: @R C-R can you please try option drag those 4 in the middle and if not crashing delete those 4 and do it again immediately after?

Just now, dcarvalho84 said:

Thanks, but i've tested again today and have a crash just repeting the steps. Don't know what it could be but i can make it crash with the mouse too.

Possibly it is something that only happens with Mojave, or maybe (also) when a Wacom driver is installed (even if it is not being used). It also might be caused by some bug in the beta's use of or a conflict with Mojave's Metal compute acceleration option, or a combination of several of these things.

I can't test for all of these things, & I'm sure you don't want to either, but maybe you could try just changing the Metal compute option in Preferences > Performance to see if that makes any difference? Since the primary reason they have made the betas available is so users can help identify bugs, that might help everyone ....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Frustrating, I have tried this and the very first time I had a crash since then nothing. I do have a Wacom tablet.

Affinity Designer Beta_2019-06-04-083539_Mac-Pro.crash

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Frustrating, I have tried this and the very first time I had a crash since then nothing. I do have a Wacom tablet.

Affinity Designer Beta_2019-06-04-083539_Mac-Pro.crash

I still can make it crash at the first or the second time. Just don't release the mouse/pen immediately when dragging. Hold it for 1or 2 seconds.

42 minutes ago, dcarvalho84 said:

I still can make it crash at the first or the second time. Just don't release the mouse/pen immediately when dragging. Hold it for 1or 2 seconds.

[Expletive Deleted!]. Wow. I didn't get finished counting off the One (and) before a crash happened. 

Seems to happen without fail when I use the pen on the Wacom, if I use the 'touch' feature of the Wacom it won't crash on a repeating basis.

Crash using the Wacom.

Affinity Designer Beta_2019-06-04-091250_Mac-Pro.crash

Edit to add note so @Sean P will see that we are not just making this up, 

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

• Staff

Sorry for the late reply - I can confirm that I can reproduce it using a Wacom tablet (Intuos Pro small) using the latest 6.3.34-2 drivers. The good news is that it no longer seems to be crashing in the next build, which will be with you soon! If you wouldn't mind just giving it a recheck that would be great!

Thanks again for the persistence!

6 hours ago, Sean P said:

Sorry for the late reply - I can confirm that I can reproduce it using a Wacom tablet (Intuos Pro small) using the latest 6.3.34-2 drivers. The good news is that it no longer seems to be crashing in the next build, which will be with you soon! If you wouldn't mind just giving it a recheck that would be great!

Thanks again for the persistence!

@Sean P I can confirm that this is still happening in the now MAS version. Please on your tests just don't release the pen immediately after dragging, hold it down for 1 or 2 seconds and you'll get a crash. Sometimes i don't need to wait that time because it will crash still when dragging.

53 minutes ago, dcarvalho84 said:

@Sean P I can confirm that this is still happening in the now MAS version. Please on your tests just don't release the pen immediately after dragging, hold it down for 1 or 2 seconds and you'll get a crash. Sometimes i don't need to wait that time because it will crash still when dragging.

I have a crash with the same procedure

Affinity Designer Original file.crash

And I have a crash with the after I did a save as

Affinity Designer-Pro w copy.crash

Alright, I have made a brand new document and crashed the damn thing. Recipe is as follows;

Make a symbol which has a clipped element in it. Many instances (nine in my test) on a document and then copy them paste them and do the option drag with the Wacom pen.

Crash. I lost the document but I will try to reproduce it and save it and send it on. Previously I had older drivers for the Wacom I am now up to date with 6.3.34-2.

EDIT: Arrgh, now I can't crash anything. Is that a good thing?

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Alright, I have made a brand new document and crashed the damn thing. Recipe is as follows;

Make a symbol which has a clipped element in it. Many instances (nine in my test) on a document and then copy them paste them and do the option drag with the Wacom pen.

Crash. I lost the document but I will try to reproduce it and save it and send it on. Previously I had older drivers for the Wacom I am now up to date with 6.3.34-2.

EDIT: Arrgh, now I can't crash anything. Is that a good thing?

I have that driver version and still crashing... Good for you ;)

Edit: @Old Bruce just use the DuarteCC file i have on top and test.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.