You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export to PDF problem (large file)

I have created a A0 poster in AD. Size 8400mm x 11890 mm. Export to PDF (Print Press Ready/ 300dpi) takes for ages and finally generates a 157 mb file. On my mac a can see the file in preview. However when i send the file to the print shop when they open it they see a blank file. I tried to open the file in Photoshop myself and also could not open it and saw i file with now content.

Exporting to jpg is not possible because of maximum dimensions of 65500 pixels. Trying to save to a tiff file does nothing after 15 minutes waiting.

Please can you help me and tell me what to do to get this file printed?

28 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Is there an extra zero on those mm sizes...?

Is that a rhetorical question, Mike? Is this??

A0 is 841 mm × 1189 mm (not 840 mm × 1189 mm as implied by the OP).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, jschor said:

I have created a A0 poster in AD. Size 8400 mm x 11890 mm.

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Is that a rhetorical question, Mike? Is this??

A0 is 841 mm × 1189 mm (not 840 mm × 1189 mm as implied by the OP).

See the difference?

Either the OP didn't mean A0 and the measurement is correct or the OP means A0 and has the measurement wrong (and maybe in the file).

At the dimensions of 8400, that PDF has a dimension equal to 330.7087 inches. A PDF cannot display in Acrobat or a RIP software above 200 inches in any dimension, which fits the description of "However when i send the file to the print shop when they open it they see a blank file."

There is a means of Acrobat and RIP (newer RIP) software to display a PDF of that size by changing the "user units." So if that size is needed as indicated by the opening post, either the OP needs to scale the design down to say 50% of its current size and communicate to the print establishment it needs to be printed at 200%, or use a process to change the user units <-- but only if the print establishment can then print it at 100% of design size with their RIP.

7 minutes ago, MikeW said:

See the difference?

If that question was directed at me, Mike, then I most certainly do! That’s what prompted my “rhetorical question” response.

Either the OP didn't mean A0 and the measurement is correct or the OP means A0 and has the measurement wrong (and maybe in the file).

I assumed the latter, which is why I referred to “implied” measurements. As I noted in my previous post, if “8400 mm” was meant to be “840 mm” then it’s wrong either way.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

...Size 8400mm x 11890 mm. ..

that would take 100 A0 pages to represent, (shouts... "Timber")

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

that would take 100 A0 pages to represent, (shouts... "Timber")

Well, because of tiled overlap, it takes more pages of A0 than 100 if printed using a sheetfed print device.

I've make larger prints. The print devices use rolls of paper which, when needed, are tiled vertically. But ya new that...

Just now, jschor said:

Oh my god, i feel very stupid now. Of course A0 is 840mm x 1198mm and not the size i used. I'll rescale and try again

Once you scale it down and produce another PDF, check your PDF in Acrobat or Adobe Reader. If you can open it in either application it should be fine for the print service.