Please could the development team give an indication as to when the footnote facility will be available. Also it will be useful to know when all the facilities for book publishing are going to be available.

They have already said that Publisher 1.7 will not have footnotes:

As for "all the facilities for book publishing" that would depend on what functions you think are absolutely necessary, and different users have different needs.

In general you will not get an answer from Serif to questions about when something will be available. After 1.7 is released they have said they would provide the roadmap for what functions are planned for sometime in version 1, but even then I doubt they'll say much about actual dates.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.399 Beta

Page Plus X9 has the 'Book Plus' facility that alows chapters to be sychronised, pages to be renumbered, etc.  Also, of course, the footnote facility.  All these are essential to book publishing.  It would be good to have some indication as to timescale for these facilities to be incorporated into 'Publisher'.  When starting a lengthy book it will be useful to know whether to battle on with PP X9 or hold back for the final version of Publisher.

If you're working on something today, and PP X9 has the functions you need, and Publisher doesn't, you should use PP X9.

My guess is that 1.7 of Publisher is close to being feature complete, but that's only a guess. I doubt we'll see anything major like footnotes (and Patrick has said we won't), or chapter synchronization, or page renumbering beyond what is already there, in 1.7.

What we'll probably see is small changes to existing functions. I hope, for example, they change the way that Linked files work before the 1.7 release. But I don't know if that will happen or not.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.399 Beta

Publisher is really promising, and I'm using it extensively already for brochures, flyers, etc, but I've just started a newsletter project and discovered no footnotes facility! Footnotes please!

This is a real problem to me, hence I am still using Page Plus X9.  I cannot seem to obtain a response as to when this important feature will be introduced, along with other features for book publishing.  The program is called 'Publisher'!

15 minutes ago, kirtonm said:

I cannot seem to obtain a response as to when this important feature will be introduced, along with other features for book publishing.  The program is called 'Publisher'!

Microsoft Publisher also has "Publisher" in its name. Nevertheless it is only a better "Microsoft Word" ;-)
Be patient until 1.7. Then there will be a roadmap.

My Specs:
- Processor: AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Processor 3.20 GHz- RAM: 8 GB
- Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
- Monitor: SyncMaster F2380 (resolution 1920x1080)
- Operating system: Windows 10 Pro (1803) / 64 bit

8 hours ago, kirtonm said:

I cannot seem to obtain a response as to when this important feature will be introduced, along with other features for book publishing.

Serif does not usually comment on the timing of when things will be available.  This has come up several times.  There have been comments on other threads, however, that this particular feature should not expected in the initial release.