You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export Layers to files in Affinity Photo

I have read multiple threads here on how to do this, and Im still not finding the correct solution.

I want to get each layer to export as a separate jpeg file with the element on each layer on a white background.

I do not want the slices to exist at whatever size the elements were that were floating on the page.

The Export Persona is supposed to be the way to do it, and so far its not giving me what I need.

Surely there must be a way to do this, without having to do each layer individually one by one.

Whats the trick? 

Attached are examples of what I am after.

Awards Logos_Cannes.jpg

Awards Logos_Clio.jpg

Awards Logos_In2Sabre.jpg

Unfortunately, when you create your slices in the Layers panel in the Export Persona, they maintain the original size of each layer. To my awareness, there isn't a way to have each slice automatically maintain the size of the canvas. Anyone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Not sure I fully understand your requirements but you can export your layers (let's call them logos for now) at any size you want.

So let's assume your canvas size is 1200px and you want 200px white space on the left and right hand sides of each logo

In the Export Persona, set the size for each slice (logo) to 800px (width)

Export all the slices to a folder.

Then run a "relatively" simple AP batch job with macro on all files in that folder to Resize the Canvas to 1200px wide (You can optionally add a white background layer within the macro but that should not be necessary if you only ever want JPGs) .

Hopefully that will do as you want but if not, more information and a sample APhoto file would help in assisting you further

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

One way to do this is to use a large canvas, draw as many white rectangles as there are logos on it, each one sized to the dimensions you want for the exports. Make each logo a child of one of the rectangles. Optionally name each rectangle with the name you want for the exports. It should look something like this:
787524454_logolayers.thumb.jpg.df8e3e37adf39dff847ac919f54a7e06.jpg

Switch to the Export Persona & in the Layers tab, select all the parent rectangle layers & click the Create Slice button, like this:
225212443_ExportLayyerstab.jpg.5e67dd8ee581c5aec819933b5c1a1754.jpg
In the Export Options panel, set the Defaults to the desired jpeg options (for example to the "JPEG (High quality)" preset). Then, in the Slices tab, untick the "background" slice so the whole canvas won't be exported, & either use the Export Slices button to export all the logos, or use the individual export buttons next to each slice if for some reason you don't want to export them all at the same time:
395657473_SlicesTab.jpg.81b1b6ce778fe9a90cf030b41bab365f.jpg

Logos Example.afphoto

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Technically, yes, each slice can be any size you make it, but from what I gathered, I think he is looking for a way to have them all the same size without going through each individually and manually making changes.

Then run a "relatively" simple AP batch job with macro on all files in that folder to Resize the Canvas to 1200px wide

I'm interested to know what you mean by this.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

35 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

Technically, yes, each slice can be any size you make it, but from what I gathered, I think he is looking for a way to have them all the same size without going through each individually and manually making changes.

The method I mentioned in my last post comes very close to what I think the OP wants. It is semi-automated & does not require saving anything besides the exports & the original working document.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay getting back about this.

So far Im not seeing the solution Im looking for.

I want the export to include the entire area of the image frame.

I don't want the slices to include just the floating layer element. I want the entire dimension of the canvas to be included with each exported layer.

In this case it would be the logos on a consistently sized white background.

There must be a way to do this.

6 hours ago, thomasbricker said:

I don't want the slices to include just the floating layer element. I want the entire dimension of the canvas to be included with each exported layer.

In this case it would be the logos on a consistently sized white background.

There must be a way to do this.

Have you tried the method I mentioned above to do this? It puts each logo on a consistently sized white background. This way, the size of the canvas does not determine the slice size. Instead, the rectangle parent layers, each of which can be the same size, does that.

Affinity Photo 

• 1 year later...

July Update - this is definitely one of those "oh damn, I can't cancel my Creative Cloud subscription yet" missing features. It shouldn't be impossible to export each layer as the artboard size - for example, doing "Export to Layers" in Photoshop simply requires un-checking "Trim Layers" in the export options.

• 2 years later...

not having batch export layers with canvas size crop is crazy :S
have 200+ layers, all different sizes, need to export each layer to cropped image
the export slicing expects me to manually adjust 200+ or more layers one by one? that's just never going to fly
please, focus some dev time on efficient workflows, or this can never replace photoshop (which is what most are trying to escape from)

cheers

• 6 months later...

Agreed! This is a little bit insane. With interface design, video & motion graphics, etc, this is at least as common a use case as using slices cropped to element size.

I was simply trying to create a series of banners for a document, each with a section title and then a gradient background. Should be easy as pie, right? I'm flabbergasted that I have to go in and do this manually for each layer.

Devs PLEASE consider adding this post haste!

• 1 month later...

Hi I have a affinity photo and looking at doing a banner at around 2400 x 1800mm but can but when I print it only printered one one, so I took a look at other option and they say put a rectangle around your image, the size of the paper that you are using then merge it with the image that you have in my case three different images or pages, but the problem I’m having is I can’t attach that  rectangle to the image. Hope this make sense.