You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I did another post I don't know what I messed up but sorry lol. 

I am trying to find how to do this vintage lettering and can't seem to find anything on it. If there is anything could you point me in the right direction:)

I know how to get the pictures in the letters just don't know how to make them look 3d. I can only find photoshop or whatever the program is called. I have AD and AP:) Thank you

Screenshot 2019-03-14 22.16.31.png

Windows 10 desktop ram 8g 

There is a pseudo 3D way to make text look like this but you end up with a lot of duplicates

Another way would be to create a grid that mimics the "left to right" angle (14.5º) and the "right to left"angle (135º) and draw the 3D effect.

Another way would be to find an app that can do 3D text such as Logoist 3 for Mac.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Here's my two cents worth:

Use a ready made 3-D font of your choice (available for free download everywhere).
Type your lettering, one by one, so that you end up with loose,  separate letters.
Because of the inherent nature of 3D letters, in this case this is easier than using the Kerning feature for text.
Convert each separate letter to curves.
Do your thing with the photo-fill, the color of the lines, the color of the 3D fall-off etc.
Now align and tweak the text so that it looks natural.
Group the lot when your satisfied with the result.
Skew to the desired angle.
Done.

Looking good FunnyG480, Catlovers idea is good too, I generally use a compliment of apps to get what I want, sometimes I'll use one app and then copy over things like the extrude section for practice, just to get a feel for how it would be drawn by hand/pentool such as this example from Logoist 3

Screen-Shot-2019-03-15-at-18-59-42.png

This is the file exported from Logoist 3: Cascadia.pdf

It is broken down into 3 parts the bevel which is an image, the text which becomes a curve and you can nest an image or images and the extruded part that is also an image.

This is what you can do in Affinity with the PDF, I added an image to the letters and sheered it to match the angle of the letters, I added a drop shadow to the extrude and also made it brighter and a bit more contrasty to match the image.
Screen-Shot-2019-03-15-at-19-09-54.png

Cascadia.afdesign

If you turn off the bevel layer and letters layer, you can see how the extrude is made up and if you feel adventurous you could lock that layer and try tracing over it with the pen tool.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Fishin is bitchin hahaha!

I've worked out a way to get the extruded parts as individual extruded letters. Well I think I have, lets see.

1. In the Back Group select all of the text layers
  2. Select the Move Tool (V) and click on Convert to curves, you should now have lots of groups that replace the text layers.
  3. While all of the groups are selected, right click on them and select Ungroup, you will have a shed load curves, don't panic... yet! :D
  4. Now we need to select each of the letters so we can add/merge all of repeated curves together.
  5. I found that selecting the Move Tool (V) and left clicking and dragging over the letter and then pressing the Cmd key, probably Ctrl on windows selects all of the repeated curves for that letter.
  6. If that works Click on the Add icon in the Geometry section and you should have a single extrude of say the letter C
  7. Do the same for all the letters

I may make a video of this lol!

6 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

pressing the Cmd key, probably Ctrl on windows

That’s correct. As far as I’m aware, the only time Ctrl on Mac is also Ctrl on Windows is when you’re resetting the app.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi,

Some comments on coloration. Only tangentially on the 3D text effect.

In the current image, the text fill is an orange scale monochrome image. The 3D extrusion is also orange. So the extrusion blends visually w. "Colorado." The letter shapes become less distinct. Because the background is mostly blue, the 3D extrusion needs to have colors that stand out against both the orange and blue, and still remain distinct as shading for the extruded letters. Offered below is my hand drawn suggestion for coloring highlite and shadowed areas.

Way back when hand drawing was all that could be done, the standard method was to connect edges, and fill w. shadow or lite, and on curves, to shade w. changing line width.

I also tried a different color fill for the "Fishin..." text, using a pale green yellow that relates some to the colors of the fish. The orange seemed too contrasty to me.

Recolor.jpg.f6ca94017c177ba3a76a4fe7f5837516.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

You can actually make a colour palette from the Document, so on the Swatches Panel click on the burger menu icon ( three lines) Select Create Palette From Document > As Application Palette, Choosing this will allow you to use the palette in other documents, As system Palette will allow other apps to use the palette and as document palette will only let the palette be used in the document it was created from.

The creation of the palette will be assigned the document name but you can rename it if you want. So now you have a nice palette to choose colours from.

To move on from there, if you select a colour swatch from the palette and then swap to the colour panel you can add more colours related in some way to the colour swatch you have selected by clicking on the burger menu and selecting Add chord to swatch, try Triadic, then go look at the colours added to the swatch in the swatches panel, they will be the first three colours top left.