You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have been publishing a paper since 1991. I was involved in PP in the early stages and really enjoyed the program. I felt it as on the cusp of really being a solid program. However, I do not think the publishing world took it serous and Adobe InDesign kind of ruled there. ID was a cutting edge program with a lot of room for growth when it began. I couldn't afford the price so I stuck to PP. Now comes Affinity and although I like the direction and potential, it will be a huge step backward in features. Drawing lines is difficult. If you copy and paste lines or objects they lay on top of each other. (Do not stagger) Although it has huge possibilities, the WORKFLOW is extremely difficult. I understand this is beta stage and to be patient. Things that are so simple in Indesign or PP are not so easy in Publisher. If you use tables, there is an easy function to alternate fills so you don't have to do them by hand. Drawing lines is harder than it should be and working with picture frames is NOT easy. I say congrats to the Serif team on taking a bold step forward, but for old-times like me (I am 58), I don't have the years left to wait....If I was 30, yes. But I am not.  I am disappointed that PP will no longer grow. I feel with a couple of improvements (like remembering your print settings - without having to save a setting. ID seems to do this...hmm)...a dark theme (easier on the eyes).....and a few other things...

The is a old but very true saying. . . " If it's not broken, Why try to fix it " (or words to that effect)

I have been using PP MSDOS days from PP2 to PP X9   I am finding it hard to get use the dark back ground  maybe when they publish the manual it will become easier to navigate around this DTP. 

I have been trying it a few times a day trying to get use to it ( if you don't will soon forget what you have learned) 

2 minutes ago, iscom said:

There is an old but very true saying. . . " If it's not broken, Why try to fix it " (or words to that effect)

Much as I liked PagePlus, the problem is that it was "broken", or certainly heading that way. Affinity Publisher still has a long way to go, but I'm sure Serif made the right decision to start from scratch with a new piece of DTP software, (with new code etc.) rather than continuing to try to patch PagePlus and keep  adding more and more "bells and whistles" to an aging product.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

23 minutes ago, iscom said:

I am finding it hard to get use the dark back ground

Have you tried switching to the light User Interface in your Publisher Preferences?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

I have now :)  That's great many thanks
The problem was if I and moved if the page I could not see the black text against the back background 

Will now post two new questions on about importing images from scanner ( is Insert on PP) and how to create  image from text 

I agree with JPSports that, at this point (Beta 238), APub has the makings of a great program.

Neither InDesign, nor PP, started out feature rich, but they were pretty much on par with the other DTP's of the day. The APub team has a huge job ahead of them trying to get APub where it needs to be. To use a car analogy, it's hard to convince someone to buy a VW Beetle, or Toyota Carolla, when they are already driving Lamborginis and Ferraris!

Granted, I've been working with PP for years, and I used InDesign as well--still prefer PP over InDesign--and find it difficult to do things in APub. As was mentioned, workflow is quite different, but this is to be expected of any new product. To be successful, APub will need to offer most of the now-essential features found in the other products.

I have to credit Serif with creating an excellent APhoto, certainly good enough to move me away from Photoshop, but it took a couple of years and release 1.6 to get there. It's a catch-22 for Apub--the longer you wait to release, the more features the competition adds to their products to pull even farther ahead. That said, APub needs some very important features that have already been mentioned and voted on in droves before it releases, if it wants us to move from PP or InDesign. I love PP, and I would like to love its replacement--APub.