You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm zoomed in to do a magnetic pixel selection. When  I reach the edge of the window, I want to scroll the screen to continue the selection path but whatever I do to scroll the screen causes the selection to drop.The only thing that "seems" to work is the navigator panel. Are there any other ways move around the view of my zoomed object to complete the selection? Wouldn't "pushing" against the edge of the window with cursor/tool would be an intuitive way to do this?

Thanks,

lettergothic

Are you using Mac or windows?

Unfortunately Affinity Photo doesn't have that ability, on Mac you can scroll the screen with the Magic Mouse but making a selection is awkward at best.

An alternative method would be to use the pen tool and create a selection from that layer, the beauty about using the pen tool is you can make all the adjustments you want first, you can rough click to add nodes around the area you want to select then zoom in to adjust the nodes and once you're happy, apply a fill (you can drop the opacity so you can still see what you are selecting) and use Select > Selection from layer.

Another benefit is you still have the curve you created to adjust if the selection isn't quite right. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

16 hours ago, lettergothic said:

Wouldn't "pushing" against the edge of the window with cursor/tool would be an intuitive way to do this?

It would, but as you know it doesn't work that way. :(

I know of one not very satisfactory workarounds for this: Use the Add mode to create multiple selections, scrolling between selections as needed to enclose everything desired.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
18 hours ago, lettergothic said:

Are there any other ways move around the view of my zoomed object to complete the selection? Wouldn't "pushing" against the edge of the window with cursor/tool would be an intuitive way to do this?

Hi lettergothic,
Start creating the selection as usual, before getting to close to the edge press and hold the space key (to use temporally the pan function), click and drag the mouse to pan the document, release the mouse button, release the space key then continue creating the selection moving the mouse..

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi lettergothic,
Start creating the selection as usual, before getting to close to the edge press and hold the space key (to use temporally the pan function), click and drag the mouse to pan the document, release the mouse button, release the space key then continue creating the selection moving the mouse..

It's obvious really once it is pointed out to you. I have run into this problem many times before.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630