You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem with the size of the document - linked files

I use the Publisher to create assembly documents - bunch of raster sketches, originally created as PSD files, then opened and converted to the native format in the Affinity Photo. A sketch typically consists of one/two layer(s) with linework and one layer with the white mask underlying the linework. Sample sketch could be downloaded here. It is grayscale, some 6000x4000 pixels, some 60+ MB. 

Originally, I just dragged all files into the Publisher document. I ended up with the document od some +1 GB of size. Then I found I can change documents to "linked" so I proceeded, expecting dramatic decrease in the file size. I was wrong. The document still is +1 GB. You can download it here.

How comes the document is still that big despite fact all its files are linked to it and the document itself contains literally NO DATA except links?

The above workflow is the same I use with inDesign and Photoshop - the size of the similar IDD file is less than 10 MB.

A lot of us have been confused by the terminology because we are used to the language of ID & Quark. Maybe  the word Linked should be replaced by Updateable and the word Linked only brought in when an image isn't actually stored in the document.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

Thanks for quick answers. 

What is the reason for this functionality? Is it because planned exchangeability of files with iOS app?

Otherwise it does not make sense to me: as there is always user input needed (one has to hit update manually), I do not see the reason why not all files are linked as default.

15 minutes ago, Ros. Riha said:

one has to hit update manually),

You can set your Preferences to update linked files automatically.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.