You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linked Pictures still increase afpub filesize

HI all

I am using the affinity publisher first time, and I am impressed about the good functions in this app! Congratulation to the dev team.

One thing I has seen is: If I place some pictures, and set them to linked (not embedded), I finally get anyway a big afpub file. I have all my pictures in one folder, the total amount ist about 142 MB, and if I place all these pictures the final afpub is more that 165 MB. It seems the pictures are still embedded and not only linked?

I am currently using the 1.7.0.206

Thanks and kinde regards

Andreas

This is a question that is asked over and over.

All files are actually embedded and "linked" just means the original file location is watched for changes.

There is no real linking here yet.

And the file size grows because It's an database behind the scenes.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

I would like to see a different behavior here. The Publisher file should embed an optimized thumbnail only, if an asset is linked. Otherwise what's the point of linking except for updates? This is not the behavior we expect as compared to competing design applications.

Yes, we all want to see this changed to real linking.

But I don't know if this will happen. I dont recall any official statements on this.

They surely need to do something about that because now you are limited to something above 200 high-res images in your document. After that Publisher starts crashing and consuming a lot of memory.

I heared that with true linking like in InDesign there is no real limit to images.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

From APub Help: Embedding vs linking

Linking

A link is created between the document and the file on disk to allow it to update (via Resource Manager) if changed on disk. If the linked file is moved or deleted you'll be prompted to locate the file and relink it by navigating to its new folder location. As the file is not stored in the document, this avoids 'bloat' by limiting the size of the document and permits it to be edited external to the document being edited.

2. From the dialog, choose an Image Placement Policy. Embedded Preferred stores the file in your document; Linking Preferred does not embed but maintains a link to the file, still in its original location.

I checked the embedded vs linking topic in APub Help, which is quoted above. So, obviously, the original plan was to have a real link without embedding--just like all the other layout software out there. Could be it's just not implemented fully yet.

Just now, ToOldForThis said:

. Could be it's just not implemented fully yet.

I hope so!

Thanks for looking it up.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.