Hi,

here it is my suggestion we talk about. I would like to see all elements on Master Pages to be editable in document spreads as it is possible in Quark (without taking any additional action).

Best regards,

Petar Petrenko
Typesetter, Graphic Designer, Photographer
Skopje, Makedonija

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7
Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M )
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)
1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Hard drive
UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED- Backlit Touch Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

9 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Turn off sync in the Symbols studio and unlock the master page layer in the Layers studio and you can do this already?

Petar is talking about the new functionality in 1.7.0.221, I believe, which is intended to replace that old workaround.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

34 minutes ago, AdamW said:

In our model, and I believe Quark is similar, changing an object attribute causes it to become unlinked from the master version. Once unlinked, changes made to the attribute on the master will not be reflected. That's why we think you should have to explicitly choose to do this.

As Patrick says though, further discussion on this topic should be moved to a separate thread.

I still think Quark's model is better even if the link with master page will be broken. Your model is the same as in InDesign.

Best regards,

Petar Petrenko
Skopje, Makedonija

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7

Quark also has "Preferences > Default Print Layout > General > Master Page Items: Keep/Delete Changes" when reapplying the Master Page.

Best regards,

Petar Petrenko
Skopje, Makedonija

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7

Hi. The problem I see with this, is that you can accidentally move some master page element when working on a page and the mistake will propagate accross all pages. In my opinion turning on explicitly the edit mode is a safety step. To make all us happy, this behavior could be configurable under preferences.

24 minutes ago, elmonopascual said:

Hi. The problem I see with this, is that you can accidentally move some master page element when working on a page and the mistake will propagate accross all pages. In my opinion turning on explicitly the edit mode is a safety step. To make all us happy, this behavior could be configurable under preferences.

Editing master object on a specific page does not reflect on all the other master page objects.

Best regards,

Petar Petrenko
Skopje, Makedonija

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7

Hi Petar. I understand what you say now. You mean freely edit a master page object on any page, only for that page.
Anyway, I think is good that certain properties of master pages objects be locked by default to prevent accidentally move them (or change them) because master page objects are "suppossed to be the same on all pages", at least initially (of course with the possibility of unlock them).
For me is a question of agility / safety that could be configured depending how the user feels more comfortable.

36 minutes ago, elmonopascual said:

Hi Petar. I understand what you say now. You mean freely edit a master page object on any page, only for that page.
Anyway, I think is good that certain properties of master pages objects be locked by default to prevent accidentally move them (or change them) because master page objects are "suppossed to be the same on all pages", at least initially (of course with the possibility of unlock them).
For me is a question of agility / safety that could be configured depending how the user feels more comfortable.

There is a lock/unlock feature in Publisher, so you can protect any object you need.

Yes, they are supposed to be located on identical coordinates, but in some cases there is a reason to change some attributes (like possition, size, color...)

Best regards,

Petar Petrenko
Skopje, Makedonija

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7

Found it.

Right-click on the master layer in the Layers studio and there is now a set of four options in the context menu, one of which can be active at a time:

• Edit Detached - this does what you are asking for.  It allows you to select items from the Master and move them around, keeping the changes independent for that page.
  • Edit Linked - this allows you to select items from the Master and move them around, but changes are propagaed back to the Master and other pages that were not modified by editing detached
  • Edit Frame Content - this is the new default behavior, in which you can enter text and the like but the positions of Master page items are locked down
  • Lock - this one prevents you from even editing text in Master page items. 

So it looks like they already did this - you just need to tell it what mode you want to be in.

Sorry for this late reaction.

What about this:

Yoi put a table(s) on a master page (as templates) with added columns and rows headers and now you have to populate the empty fields on the working pages. And you have a few hundred pages. So, you have to unlock the master layer on every page to be able to work on it? It is very time consuming. That is why I insist on Quark's way if master pages solution.

Best regards,

Petar Petrenko
Skopje, Makedonija

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7

24 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

put a table(s) on a master page (as templates) with added columns and rows headers and now you have to populate the empty fields on the working pages.

You can do this in the default "Edit Frame Content" mode.

25 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

So, you have to unlock the master layer on every page to be able to work on it?

Only if you locked it on every page, and I'm not sure why you would do that?

27 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

That is why I insist on Quark's way if master pages solution.

Then use Quark.