You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.206
Windows 10 Pro, 4K-Display (200%)
Document: ~40 Master Pages, ~180 Pages, about 400 Images (linked), File Size 1,9 GB

Affinitiy Publisher just terminated without notice when scrolling - I wanted to insert a new text field in each left page (starting at the end) - after about 10 to 20 pages the application just exits.

The effect was reproducable, but I'm not exatly sure if at one time it was the insert operation which triggered the issue.

No more crashes (so far) after switching display resoultion to 2K (100%).

The document can be provided on request.

PS: file recovery works great :)

This problem was reported before, but Serif has problems ro reproduce it.

I provided a file which causes crashes on my machine, but QA says it's working fine for them. So there seems to be a specific stability issue with unknown cause.

As far as I know it has to do with a large amount of Images (above 200) in one file.

I wonder how you came so far with your project before you got issues.

Please see if you also can provide your file to Serif to help finding the problem with the dropbox link in the other thread.

Here is more on that:

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

13 minutes ago, Guenter Diel said:
Hello,

as I alredy wrote in an other thread:

I have similar experiences. If I scroll fast through a document with many pictures Affinity Publisher (1.7.206 and before) crashed.

Especially when I scroll immediately after the doc is loaded.

Regards, Günter

Can you provide your document to @Jon P?

As said before he has trouble right now reproducing a crash with my file. :|

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

I can reproduce the isseu by changing the page rather fast (open document and then just doubleclick on the pages in the page navigator)

Changing the GPU to WARP (instead of using the Quadro M2000M) does not solve the issue.

@Steps, @Guenter Diel: Thank you for providing the references to your threads.

@Steps I worked the whole afternoon without any crash - the document has currently about 216 pages, 2,2GB and 273 images (the previous number was estimated to high), 41 master pages (facing)

@Jon P - Are you interessted in the file? If yes, I can provide you with a download link (your dropbox link seems to be full and does not support files larger than 2GB)

Have a nice evening, Christian

• Staff

Hi all,

If you could upload any more files that demonstrate this issue here:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/TIvDIBzoxvVpbEa9CNRO

I am still investigating this, but it would help if anytime the program crashes if you could navigate to the following folder and attach any crash dumps found to this thread/my dropbox

%AppData%\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports\reports

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

@Jon P

I just upload you a modified version of my test project copy. In the first place by creating this I made the mistake that after batch editing them I saved the linked files with standard sRGB ICC profile. This is unfortunately not a realistic use case as most of my photos have the Canon sRGB ICC profile included. I corrected that in my sample project.

Publisher seems to need more memory or have to more stress if linked files have another ICC profile than specified in the document. At least this leads to getting converted to a TIF rather than staying as JPG on PDF export. But I might be wrong with that observation. If you know further details on this please let me know.

However I hope that you have more luck reproducing my issues here with that.

And if not...

@Christian Luidolt & @Guenter Diel: The DropBox has now free space again for your files. :)

1 hour ago, Jon P said:

Hi all,

If you could upload any more files that demonstrate this issue here:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/TIvDIBzoxvVpbEa9CNRO

I am still investigating this, but it would help if anytime the program crashes if you could navigate to the following folder and attach any crash dumps found to this thread/my dropbox

%AppData%\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports\reports

Thanks

Still not euough space! (the file I wont to upload has 400 MB)

Günter

• Staff

Hi,

Thanks all of you for getting all the files and crash dumps to me.

I've finally managed to fairly constantly reproduce this problem with @Christian Luidolts file. I'm still trying with some of the others (I've seen it once with a couple of the other files but struggle to constantly reproduce it)

As discussed here, the common theme seems to just be the issue on very large, image heavy documents. I'm logging an issue and attaching the provided crash dumps/files for the developers to continue to investigate.

Thanks again for providing the files and crash dumps.

@Jon P Very nice, glad to hear that! :)

@Christian Luidolt Thanks! I somehow hoped my file would be the most crashing one, but this is not a competition... Or is it? :D

This issue is important to me as I need Publisher on retail release to be capable of handling huge photo books. This is my use case. I hope the devs can fix it.

1 hour ago, Jon P said:

Hi,

Thanks all of you for getting all the files and crash dumps to me.

I've finally managed to fairly constantly reproduce this problem with @Christian Luidolts file. I'm still trying with some of the others (I've seen it once with a couple of the other files but struggle to constantly reproduce it)

As discussed here, the common theme seems to just be the issue on very large, image heavy documents. I'm logging an issue and attaching the provided crash dumps/files for the developers to continue to investigate.

Thanks again for providing the files and crash dumps.

Good to hear!

I can constantly reproduce the crash wenn I do the following:
  Immediately after the doc is loaded scroll and then doubleclick (fast) on the pages in the page navigator.

(File: Georgien.afpub)

Thanks, Günter

39 minutes ago, Christian Luidolt said:

Problem can still be reproduced with Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.221 on Windows 10 (but it took little longer), wil test on Windows 7 on Monday.

Please add tags "1.7.0.206" and "1.7.0.221" to the topic.

• 4 months later...

@Jon P I did not see a changelog entry mentioning this problem and latest reports seem to suggest it still exists.

Do you know an estimate when this will be fixed? Thanks.

Thank you for letting me know.

I changed my machine to a better CPU and doubled my RAM. So I can't really tell.

No crashes yet, but it was harder on my project anyway.

• Staff

No direct fix was made from what I can tell, but there have been some improvements around this area.

We are still looking to improve memory usage on fairly complex documents which should hopefully further improve this.

If you are still getting constant crashes in the release build let me know though.

• 7 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (User file crashes app when scrolling) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.