You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why do you think that this is important?

The important information is the placed DPI and if you know that your target is for example 300 DPI and your image is placed as 900 DPI (and maybe the metadata of your JPEG have 300 DPI also) you get a good idea of the percentage.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

I do not want an idea but a precise information, it serves that computer science. When doing production and with a lot of pictures, we need to know what's in the end and not start making an "idea". Photogravure is important, as well as for the support: print - web - flexo ...

Je ne veux pas une idée mais une information précise, cela sert à ça l'informatique. Lorsque l'on fais de la production et avec beaucoup de photos, on a besoin de savoir ce qu'il y a en final et pas commencer à me faire une "idee" . La photogravure est importante, idem que pour le support : impression - web - flexo…

6 minutes ago, Steps said:

Why do you think that this is important?

The important information is the placed DPI and if you know that your target is for example 300 DPI and your image is placed as 900 DPI (and maybe the metadata of your JPEG have 300 DPI also) you get a good idea of the percentage.

The most important information for an image is its effective resolution. It is helpful to know the scale information as well.

Edited--I hate answering using my phone...

28 minutes ago, MikeW said:

The only important information for an image is its effective resolution. 

I understand that @PimentPub wants a percentage information here. Maybe in a paranthesis.

image.png.4f99e13760110289481b29420e9a346e.png

This would show in this example something about 300% because my documents target DPI is 300.

I'm not against that and this information would not bother me.

I just don't really see why it's important how much you're above or under your target.

The only thing you really need to know in my opinion is if you match it.

I know you hate it when I start with this again, but: End user photobook creation software
paint the DPI in red font if its below the target DPI and would result in a bad print.

So please explain why the percentage is interesting.

Edited by Steps
typos

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

There are customers and "creatives" who want to reduce or enlarge the photos of x%, If my client asks me how much I have reduced the photo or increased the photo, I will tell him: waited, I will calculated - this is not serious ! Ceal must reser a production program!

4 minutes ago, Steps said:

I understand that @PimentPub wants a percentage information here. Maybe in a paranthesis.

This would show in this example something about 300% because my documents target DPI is 300.

I'm not against that and this information would not bother me.

I just don't really see why it's important how much you're above or under your target.

The only thing you really need to know in my opinion is if you match it.

I know you hate it when I start with this again, but: End user photobook creation target paint
the DPI in red if its bewow the target DPI and would result in a bad print.

So please explain why the percentage is interesting.

Scale can be helpful, for me, as using too high of effective DPI as you show can/will, when downsampled at export, toss out pixels. I try to keep my final images between 100% to 150% at my desired effective resolution. I can better control what pixels are eliminated in a photo editor and what effect it has on any particular image.

But all the information is important. This is what I see in QXP (using an inexpensive XTension).

capture-002373.png.e47f216956d495721fc3717945c39d1c.png

Everything is available about that image that is important. Including the date it was last revised.

The screen shot I put at the beginning of my message is a 72 dpi jpg. I import it into Publisher, resulting, it tells me in pixel height and width, but the resolution is not correctec, it indicates 300 dpi! In addition it indicates the picture in pixel while I work in mm!

Excellent this extension QXP, I have this free info in Indesgn

3 minutes ago, PimentPub said:

The screen shot I put at the beginning of my message is a 72 dpi jpg. I import it into Publisher, resulting, it tells me in pixel height and width, but the resolution is not correctec, it indicates 300 dpi! In addition it indicates the picture in pixel while I work in mm!

Excellent this extension QXP, I have this free info in Indesgn

It would be good if you would be able to ZIP up the image and attach it.

QXP doesn't have the Info panel as per ID. The information is elsewhere and this few dollar XTension makes the same information (and a few more bits of info) available on-screen. I believe APub (at least) also needs this information available in an easy to see way.

Okay. It would be nice to have a percentage in paranthesis and I would like to see it painted in red font if it's below 100%.

That's one of the things I have to watch out for right now and a explicit hint/warning from Publisher would help me if I should miss that once.

What is dangerous, if I drag the jpg file on my Publisher page, it gives me bad information (DPI), however if I import (place) the jpg, then I have the right information on the DPI. If I do the same thing in Quark or Indesign, I have the right information in DPI ... not great for Publisher and very dangerous for production.

21 minutes ago, PimentPub said:

What is dangerous, if I drag the jpg file on my Publisher page, it gives me bad information (DPI), however if I import (place) the jpg, then I have the right information on the DPI. If I do the same thing in Quark or Indesign, I have the right information in DPI ... not great for Publisher and very dangerous for production.

Yes, it's a known bug to the devs that JPEG DPI metadata in the current build is ignored and every JPG gets imported as 72 DPI.

For PNG this does work.

1 minute ago, PimentPub said:

How do I warn the Publisher team of this problem and this % ?

You already came to the right place. They read this forum.

It sounds like people are talking about two different scales.

If an image was designed to be printed at 5 inches wide by 4 inches high but it is 2.5 inches wide by 2 inches high on the document then it is placed at 50% of its original size (width, hieght, or diagonal) and covers 25% of the original area.

If at 5x4 inches the image had 200 dpi then at 2.5 x 2 it will have 400 dpi.

If this is printed on a 300 dpi printer, you have 133.3% of the dots that you need to fully match the printer resolution, even though it is placed at 50% of the intended size.

So answering the question of scale compared to artist intent as opposed to the more quality-oriented question of printer resolution satisfaction would require two different percentages.

For printing, we need a final resolution of 300 DPI and a minimum of 240 DPI with an offset printing frame of 133. For the Flexo, a frame in final print of 150 is sufficient but the Original photo must always have a minimum of 300 DPI and 1/1 format. For this reason, the percentage is important: we increase the probability and the DPI decreases, we decrease the danger and the DPI increases. So useful information and available immediately without having to make calculations or get an idea aproximative! Here I spoke about only two types of printing, there is still the PROJECTION (for Shelters, 15M2, 36M2 ...), there are also baches ... ;-) So for me who follows a studio production and creation, the percentage and the number of DPI in final exact is important according to the frame (printing).

16 minutes ago, PimentPub said:

If you import a photo in Indesign to 100% of its original format with a resolution of 240 or 300 DPI, for printing in OFFSET, you can enlarge the photo up to 124% in Indesign without practically seeing it when is printed on a coated paper with a final screen of 150.

Sorry, you lost me on this.

How exatly should the number you want to see be calculated?

Edit: Sorry for double posting. I have trouble with the mobile site of the forum.