You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

gradually fading picture to full transparency

how do I gradually fade a picture to full transparency ?

I have not been able to find it in help, the gradient overlay

doesn't produce the desire effect : I still have a "milky" portion

where I would want full transparency.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but what ?

Thank you.

C.L.

• Staff

Hi catlover,

There's a couple ways to go about this. Here's one:

1) Create a rectangular shape (vector) with the Rectangle Tool with the size of the photo (or the document if the photo fills the entire document).

2) Apply a gradient from black to white to the rectangle with the Gradient Tool.

3) With the rectangle still selected, go to menu Layer ▹ Rasterize to Mask. You should get the graduation you are looking for.

Hey guys, I was testing this and it seemed to work quite well. However, opening the mask again (Refine mask) and messing around a little bit with the values suddenly caused the spinning ball and about a minute later AP crashed.

Anyone seen anything like this before? I haven't had it crash on me for months... :(

The method described works for me.

It seems though that there should be another way to achieve the same result, judging by MEB's answer.

Haven't found out how, yet, though.

BTW : I've had Aff Designer & Photo both crash quite often, especially after doing some editing, retracting, and editing again.

Does anyone know whether sending in the crash report to the Developer's team would do any good ?

• 1 year later...

I have a similar question. Can one use a png or svg image of a, for example, grid that has no background but only the grid itself as gradient fill on a shape. So the object has the grid as a fill but also one can see through the object on the parts that are having no background of the grid-fill.

I hope I explained that good enough...

I have a similar question. Can one use a png or svg image of a, for example, grid that has no background but only the grid itself as gradient fill on a shape. So the object has the grid as a fill but also one can see through the object on the parts that are having no background of the grid-fill.

I hope I explained that good enough...

Does the attachment answer your question..? :)

Shape filled with transparent grid.afphoto

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.