You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The Key things to know for someone that switched from Adobe to Affinity

For the longest Time I have been using Adobe Photoshop but being unhappy in particular in the subscription model. As I bought Affinity Photo and was able to use it. I realized that things are similar but not the same, meaning some functions i can get behind but rather getting confused because i am so used to the settings and functionalities of Adobe Photoshop. I realized that I have to educate myself a little, about the layout, settings and functions of the Affinity Programms. Are there Key things that i need to know, key Tutorials, about shortcuts, how to use the functions and what they are for, for someone that is coming from Adobe Photoshop? 

I think the main change is mindset, comparing Affinity Photo to Photoshop will likely end in frustration because what people do is try to make Affinity Photo the same as Photoshop but Adobe has a 30 year head start and while some things may be similar such as Keyboard shortcuts it's just not a good idea to hold on to the Photoshop framework.

Affinity Photo isn't Photoshop, it's not a Photoshop Killer either, the killer for Photoshop is the subscription model, if Photoshop was the same or even twice the price of Affinity Photo I would bet my Grandma that most people who have bought Affinity Photo would have bought Photoshop instead. Adobe made the mistake of alienating its amateur users and forcing them into a subscription model that is really for Professionals that use Photoshop everyday and so can realise the cost as acceptable and work it into their fee's.

So, forget what Photoshop can do and focus on what Affinity Photo can do and how it does it. You have made a good start by wanting to orient yourself to all things Affinity and there are a substantial array of tutorials available, see my sig below for links to the tutorial section. 

Then of course you have us, the Affinity forum, which, I think is one of the best forums around, with eager to help people from all levels from professionals to the dabbler.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

17 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

some things may be similar such as Keyboard shortcuts

One thing that catches many people out is the behaviour you get if you press a keyboard shortcut twice in a row. Instead of confirming your selection of the associated tool, it toggles between that tool and the previous one (or cycles among the tools in a toolbar group).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

All apps have toggle switches, it's just getting used to them, I can remember moving house and for the first week ending up outside my old house lol! fortunately I got round it by knocking on my old neighbours door and grabbing a cuppa before the journey to my new place lol! Eventually it starts to stick; not the keyboard the memory lol!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

13 hours ago, Scherrer said:

For the longest Time I have been using Adobe Photoshop but being unhappy in particular in the subscription model. As I bought Affinity Photo and was able to use it. I realized that things are similar but not the same, meaning some functions i can get behind but rather getting confused because i am so used to the settings and functionalities of Adobe Photoshop. I realized that I have to educate myself a little, about the layout, settings and functions of the Affinity Programms. Are there Key things that i need to know, key Tutorials, about shortcuts, how to use the functions and what they are for, for someone that is coming from Adobe Photoshop? 

I'd just gradually make my way through all the official Affinity Photo videos here:
https://vimeo.com/channels/affinityphoto/videos

Then I'd gradually make my way through the Affinity Designer ones as well, as they're also interesting even if you only use Affinity Photo:
https://vimeo.com/channels/affinitydesigner/videos

If there was one video in particular worth watching, it's probably be the one on Clipping vs Masking so you know what the blue bars mean:
https://vimeo.com/168186956