You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

NG867563.56

visionvortex

Between projects I sometimes have time to try something new. I am totally fascinated by anything science fiction. And I really love what the guys at Bungie are doing design-wise with their typography. So I set my goals: Make a artwork that is 100% vector art, scifi, and rocks a typography that you might find in destiny. I absolutely wanted to use Affinity Designer for this and continue to get better at Modo. As it is a really great vector software. The planet was created procedurally inside of Grand Designer and rendered there. The space station was modeled and rendered in Modo.

All textures and renders where then traced.  I had to fall back to AI for autotracing tracing though. But apart from that I didn't touch it ^^ The results were then copied to Affinity designer and combined into the design and worked on with a lot of gradients. The result is pure vector. I also attached a breakdown to be completely transparent about everything. 

The whole project was finished in about 16 hours from idea to artwork.

If you would like to know more or have some questions/remarks, please let me hear it!

Thanks!

NG867563_56.thumb.jpg.e60fc7e427059ec537dd68c544d3b19a.jpg

breakdown.thumb.jpg.f8b01c53960b00e40fed09515bce5f01.jpg

Good work, would make a decent book cover. Err, are books still printed? You make me feel so ancient. I played Bungie's Marathon, but Destiny, Grand Designer, Modo, had to look it all up. The tools keep getting better.

Having started reading sci-fi in '57, I have to ask, have you ever read "The Stars My Destination"? 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hey ^^ Don't worry. I remember books, too! I haven't had the pleasure to read "The Stars My Destination" yet. A good one? I think one of the last scifi novels I read was "Golem XIV" by Stanislav Lem :D fascinating read though.

Glad that you like the artwork :D

Hey,

I've read several by Lem, but not that one. Read "Solaris" several times. I recall "Cyberiad," and know I had a few others. 

Alfred Bester got the 1st  Hugo award for "The Demolished Man," but my opinion is that "The Stars..," is completely outstanding. Pure pulp action, but revelatory. The publisher had to create fonts to print a few passages. Trying not to give away too much, but the terrible Burning Man is a stroke of genius. The original title was "Tyger! Tyger!" following Wm Blake's poetry.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

Huion WH1409 tablet

13 hours ago, gdenby said:

Alfred Bester got the 1st  Hugo award for "The Demolished Man," but my opinion is that "The Stars..," is completely outstanding.

Despite our having the same first name and my being a sci-fi fan, I’d never heard of Alfred Bester until now.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

From what I remember, "The Stars my Destination" had a bit of an unusual take on matter transporters, something about timing and direction of travel when entering the "transporter pad" (whatever it was called). An interesting book but it doesn't half go in some weird directions at times.
Alfred Bester is also the name of the "baddie" Psi-Cop played by Walter Koenig in Babylon 5. (Just if anyone is interested.)

10 hours ago, GarryP said:

From what I remember, "The Stars my Destination" had a bit of an unusual take on matter transporters, something about timing and direction of travel when entering the "transporter pad" (whatever it was called). An interesting book but it doesn't half go in some weird directions at times.
Alfred Bester is also the name of the "baddie" Psi-Cop played by Walter Koenig in Babylon 5. (Just if anyone is interested.)

In "The Stars..." humanity has learned to teleport, but one has to know where one is to start. And, from recollection, it helps to have a notion of where one is going. Business board rooms are within mazes, and prisons need to be lightless warrens, so one never knows exactly where one is.

Huion WH1409 tablet

21 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Despite our having the same first name and my being a sci-fi fan, I’d never heard of Alfred Bester until now.

Most of his work, which was the finest pulp out there, went out of print. My copy of "Tiger!" fell to pieces, and it was maybe 15 years before I could find a re-print. Supposedly, it has been optioned for a film. As time goes by, it will seem somewhat less astonishing, but some of the special effects would still need to be on the order of "Valerian" expensive. And the protagonist is, at 1st, a monster of revenge and totally immoral. If the screenplay was faithful to the original, the rating would probably be abysmal. 

Erm, sorry to drag the thread off topic..

Huion WH1409 tablet

@gdenby Ah. I have a vague memory of cities having set transport areas and the protagonist saying something about having to know which speed and direction to walk in order to not bump into other people but that could just be my bad memory (it's been a while since I read it).
I often find that threads that go off on tangents can be the most interesting kind. (There are already more posts in this thread that are not about the original artwork than are.)
P.S. There are some forum frameworks that allow users to create a parallel off-topic thread so that the original thread doesn't get "polluted". Maybe this forum will go down that route someday?