I have been asked to retouch a portrait of a person whose eye whites are reddened due to illness. I am new to AP so wondered if someone could point me to a guide on how I can do this. Any pointers please?

Thank you. Sponging, if I am doing it correctly, is making the considerable red flecking turn the eye whites an even pinkish colour. Am I doing something wrong or is there a way to then convert that pink to a natural looking white?

What king of red eyes do they have

Are there a lot of red veins in the eyes

or is the whole eye red?

redeyes3.jpg

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

It's hard to say without seeing the photo. The sponge tool works by desaturating the image. Dodge will lighten the area. You can try the impainting brush tool or the clone tool to get rid of the veins 

The sponge tool set to desaturate should get rid of the redness but you will still have the veins.

Depends on the age of the person and how close to the camera they are if you want to get rid of the veins as well.

You can also whiten the eyes afterward (if appropriate to the person's age)

redeyes4.jpg

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

After selecting  the eyeball
Using :
- HSL shift Adj
- Selective color adj
- Brightness adj
- some dodging

See the native .afphoto file attached

Red Veins.afphoto

red veins.jpg

Affinity Photo  1.7.1.404 

Windows 10 Home  1903 (build 18362.175) - 64 bit processor - AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD Graphics  1.50GHz - RAM 8,00 GB
Calibrated Monitor (Datacolor Spyder5 Pro)

hello @rafikiphoto

Another method. You don't want it to look too unnatural, so select the white bits of the eye. Apply an HSL Adjustment, reduce the Saturation shift and increase the Luminosity shift to lighten the eye.

ihsl.jpg.448c22d2aa6bf09b170d36689534973e.jpg

eye1.jpg.244ffaa9bdccde3ce36f0c5bb511f7ee.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.