You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

4 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I think you mean download (to your local computer), not upload (to the remote server), but even Apple users don’t all browse the Internet with Safari. Apple stopped developing Safari for Windows many years ago, and the current major browsers for Windows can’t display TIFF images. There are new formats such as WebP, but for the moment it’s safer to stick to GIF, JPEG and PNG (and perhaps SVG with PNG fallback).

thank you my friend.

very helpfull but please can you develop about WebP ans SVG ?

i really wan to know more about these file format. most internet Designers and even in real world will just tell you: ... Use PNG (16 or 24 or 48) or ... Save it as SVG !!! then comes we bad side of this, you save as SVG then everything fall apart from one software to another and make your life a bad dream you save it as PNG then comes the 16/24/48 ... save as 16 the file is light but when you zoom in ... you see color loss !!! Really i  need to know more about all these stuffs. Thanks a lot

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

6 hours ago, leoskats said:

Hello! Well, when you use graphic design you should use PNG. PNG nowadays is popular as a photograph file too for a better quality photo archiving. PNG - 24 uses a lossless compression - so no quality is lost, but it supports an 8 bit color depth. Yes it exists also PNG - 48 bit that is more elitistic for now and has a 16 bit color depth as TIFF. I suggest that if you take photographs you should go with TIFFs for a better visual result and a bigger color palette. Don’t worry when you read that TIFF is not so web friendly -  Safari can upload perfectly TIFFS. If you do graphic design I suggest you to stay safely with PNG. You don’t need tons of colors there! 

I will give it a try and revert to tell you what i found there.

most of my devices (phones and tablets)  save photos as JPEG i never dare to try change or check because i didn't care about photo quality before i start with Art (design, photo and other fields included) now i care about so i will give it a good try.

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

1 hour ago, Arnaud Mez said:

please can you develop about WebP and SVG ?

What do you want to know? I’m sure you have access to the same online sources as I do! xD

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, owenr said:

Develop a raw file to 16 bpc.

Export with the preset named "PNG-24".

Import the PNG so it is an Image layer above the developed Pixel layer and set blending mode to Difference.

The result is pure black.

Put an Exposure adjustment at top of stack and set it to maximum of 20.

The result remains pure black with the ridiculous exposure  because the PNG is  lossless and 16 bpc.

Oh you did a very good work, really thank you :) ! Can I ask you some questions about your experiment? Firstly what bpc means? As I can see the result is lossless and 16 bpc, why in internet all time I read that PNG-24 supports only 8 bits - here in your experiment I see that Affinity saves the photo in 16 bits as the TIFF do... At the end, which file is better: TIFF or PNG when you have the same color depth? TIFF I read that it's better for print and it's not that web friendly - PNG is lossless too and if Affinity supports 16 bits for edited RAWS then it's the most compatible for web reasons?!?! Both image's formats have a lossless compression in order to load quicker in internet but not to lose information (every bite stays clear and crystal). Thanks for your help and your time you spend for us :) 

31 minutes ago, leoskats said:

Firstly what bpc means? As I can see the result is lossless and 16 bpc, why in internet all time I read that PNG-24 supports only 8 bits - here in your experiment I see that Affinity saves the photo in 16 bits as the TIFF do

I imagine that bpc stands for bits-per-channel.

As for "PNG-24" I believe you are confusing the name of a file format (PNG, with 24-bits per pixel or 8-bits per channel) with the use of PNG-24 as the name of a preset in the Affinity Export dialog. As a preset it's just a name for a predefined set of characteristics that could be specified elsewhere in the dialog.

The distinction between PNG-8 and PNG-24 as Affinity presets in the Export dialog is that PNG-8 sets the "Palettized" switch in the extended options in the "More..." part of the dialog, along with a Palette name of Automatic and 256 colors. Other than that they're both identical, and in particular both specify the "Pixel format" as "Use document format" rather than specifying, for example, RGB (8-bit) or RGB (16-bit). That specification of "use document format" should be what gives you an RGB (16-bit) color format when you start with a 16-bit file and export as PNG using the PNG-24 preset.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Guys me again! I edit a RAW photo with my lovely Affinity App. Then, I export it as a PNG - 24. In "more" section there is a plethora to choose, between RGB 8 / RGB 16 etc. I leave it as normal and then I reopen my PNG in my Affinity. The information in the image was 16 bits color depth. So you're right about the 16 bits, there is a lot of misleading about the possibilities of a PNG - 24 in internet. Thus guys PNG 24 bit is better to use in internet for web reasons than TIFF. It's more web friendly. :) Thanks!

Unknown.png