You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Recently I noticed that your YouTube ads continually appear for me. Unfortunately it's just too long to sit thru, and it doesn't give me the option to skip the ad after 4 or 5 seconds.

Yes the ad AI correctly predicted that I'm a likely candidate to buy AffinityPro - because I already purchased it!!!

SO forcing me to re-watch your ad is both a waste of my time and energy, and your advertising budget (since I already bought it)

so this is just aggravating and a turn off to your customer

Not sure if you have any options with YouTube to at least allow me to skip the ad!

I do like AffinityPro and wish you much success, esp since that will result in increased development of new features (such as full support for using custom camera profiles! hint :)

Thanks

6 hours ago, toltec said:

Are you talking about the Affinity training videos ?

No these were ads for the full product kinda like an overview of how great it is

I've watched the training videos before they are helpful

[edit] This doesn't seem to be only AffinityPro but other YouTube videos as well (I just checked). So maybe it's a google YouTube system change.

Unfortunately to protect myself from the aggravation I'm forced to 1) mute the video; 2) open a new tab and do something else. A real hit to my workflow!

Over-commercials on Network TV gave rise to commercial free cable,

Over-commercials on Cable gave rise to streaming like YouTube

Over-commercials on YouTube gave rise to ad-blockers

Now even google has added ad blockers to it's Chrome browser for that reason

And even Fox is planning on reducing its commercial time - down to 2 minutes/hour !

5 minutes ago, junkDog said:

That is Google for you. I just bought video editing software now I get dozens of ads for the product I just bought every time I look at YouTube or open an e-mail.

They spy on everything you do but don't apply the information they get very intelligently. And don't even get me started with Facebook ;)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

As much as advertisements are a means for promotion of a product and are a revenue stream for a lot of people and companies I have a choice; as I should, to not see advertisements, so why not install an adblocker like AdBlock Plus or uBlock Origin in your browser. There are a few adblockers that ask you to block some but not all advertisements, if you feel bad for the ad people you can always turn the adblocker off for that site.

Amazon Prime was a royal PITB and I have blocked every instance of it on Amazon UK using uBlock Origin.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 hours ago, junkDog said:

edit] This doesn't seem to be only AffinityPro but other YouTube videos as well (I just checked). So maybe it's a google YouTube system change.

I am surprised that you are only now noticing this. For several years they have been inserting 'pre-roll' ads (which add blockers usually can't stop) in select YT videos. This is at least in part due to the launch & subsequent expansion of the YouTube Red subscription service.

7 hours ago, junkDog said:

And even Fox is planning on reducing its commercial time - down to 2 minutes/hour !

If you mean the Fox U.S. broadcast network, I will believe that when I see (or rather don't see) it. Currently, a typical prime time show airing on any of the major U.S. broadcast networks averages about 23 minutes of actual show content per half hour of air time. The rest is a combination of paid commercials & local & network promo 'bumpers,' plus increasingly longer series intros, 'previously on' recaps, & credit rolls. There is also an increasing trend to tightly integrate some commercial promotional content with show content, overlay short promo 'popups' directly on show content, & so on.

The reason for all this is simple: producing shows people actually will want to watch are increasingly more expensive to produce, promote, & distribute. One way or another, somebody has to pay for all that, & paid commercial content remains the only viable alternative to subscription & pay-per-view revenue streams.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 3/25/2018 at 3:23 AM, R C-R said:

I am surprised that you are only now noticing this. For several years they have been inserting 'pre-roll' ads (which add blockers usually can't stop) in select YT videos. This is at least in part due to the launch & subsequent expansion of the YouTube Red subscription service.

If you mean the Fox U.S. broadcast network, I will believe that when I see (or rather don't see) it. Currently, a typical prime time show airing on any of the major U.S. broadcast networks averages about 23 minutes of actual show content per half hour of air time. The rest is a combination of paid commercials & local & network promo 'bumpers,' plus increasingly longer series intros, 'previously on' recaps, & credit rolls. There is also an increasing trend to tightly integrate some commercial promotional content with show content, overlay short promo 'popups' directly on show content, & so on.

The reason for all this is simple: producing shows people actually will want to watch are increasingly more expensive to produce, promote, & distribute. One way or another, somebody has to pay for all that, & paid commercial content remains the only viable alternative to subscription & pay-per-view revenue streams.

I guess my AdBlockers were working; then somehow this is now getting thru.  There used to be a window popup that let me skip after 4 or 5 seconds but that is now gone.

And no these aren't inserted into the beginning of the video - the time line on the bottom displays the ad playing but does not respond to my attempts to move the slider ahead to the end of the video - which the time does indicate the (almost) 2 minute ad as the ad plays. After that is done the actual video starts with a new time line with the cursor at the start location.

I also wonder if this is some "feature" since the AI, having predicted I'm a likely buyer, should also be smart enough to know I already bought it and the ad is wasted on me. And then the metrics are fooled since while the ad plays to the end I'm not watching it but still it counts toward how many people watched the entire ad

If your adblocker is still working for this, could you share which one it is?

Thanks all

1 hour ago, junkDog said:

If your adblocker is still working for this, could you share which one it is?

I have no ad blocker that prevents the ads from playing; however, I still get the 'skip ad' popup option on most YT videos that have pre-roll ads.

I don't know if it makes a difference but I am using the Safari browser on a Mac. What are you using?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

I think this is something you need to complain to YouTube about.  But, YouTube probably won't change their business model on your demand....

If it wasn't our advert, it would be someone else's.  The ads are present on selected videos - if they want you to see an ad, there will always be one.  If you are trying to watch premium/sponsored videos on YouTube, you need to be prepared to take the advertising hit.

I also end up having to watch our adverts when trying to watch stuff on YouTube (which in the real world would be barking mad), but YouTube advertising seems to be a bit of a blunt tool.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Well the whole internet lives from these, thus no surprise everywhere they try to analyze user behavior and individual persons preferences, then services like Youtube, FB ... etc. are throwing (more or less matching) ads on you whenever they can. Related to Youtube, the more viewers and intersts a video has/gains the more ads shifting are included and thrown on you.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I have no ad blocker that prevents the ads from playing; however, I still get the 'skip ad' popup option on most YT videos that have pre-roll ads.

I don't know if it makes a difference but I am using the Safari browser on a Mac. What are you using?

I also get the ‘Skip Ad’ popup on most pre-roll ads on YT (and perhaps even on post-roll ads, but I don’t see many of those and it’s easy enough to simply navigate away from the page). The ones where I don’t get a ‘Skip Ad’ option are usually only fifteen or twenty seconds long.

I doubt that the browser and platform would make a difference, since the ad is delivered with the video rather than popping up elsewhere on the page.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I also get the ‘Skip Ad’ popup on most pre-roll ads on YT (and perhaps even on post-roll ads, but I don’t see many of those and it’s easy enough to simply navigate away from the page).

I don't know why they even bother with post-roll ads -- who would watch them when as you say, it is easy enough to go to another page? O.o

Affinity Photo 

11 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I don't know why they even bother with post-roll ads -- who would watch them when as you say, it is easy enough to go to another page? O.o

I haven’t paid attention on the very few occasions when post-roll ads have popped up, but it’s quite possible that you would only see them while watching a playlist. It’s still easy to jump to the next item on the list, of course, but I suppose they might occasionally grab the attention of someone who simply chooses a playlist and then leaves it to do its thing.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

19 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I haven’t paid attention on the very few occasions when post-roll ads have popped up, but it’s quite possible that you would only see them while watching a playlist. It’s still easy to jump to the next item on the list, of course, but I suppose they might occasionally grab the attention of someone who simply chooses a playlist and then leaves it to do its thing.

I had not thought of the playlist aspect but as you say, it is still easy to jump to the next video. As for grabbing attention, I have to admit that some (a very few) ads do get my attention, usually because their production values are better than most amateur content, but even for them once is enough.

Affinity Photo 

On 3/27/2018 at 3:14 AM, R C-R said:

I found an even easier, quicker method - when you notice the ad (since they don't always appear) clikc on the "reload web page" button on your browser.  The page reload skips the ad!

Also I'm starting to notice that it's harder to spot which is an ad and which is the video..grrr!!

16 minutes ago, junkDog said:

Also I'm starting to notice that it's harder to spot which is an ad and which is the video..grrr!!

Yes, that is the next big thing in the advertising world after simple product placement -- integrate the ad into the video as seamlessly as possible. But even more insidious is what is sometimes known as "viral marketing," where the video is the ad, but presented as entertainment with no obvious reference to the product or service being promoted. There are even companies that specialize in making these things, using techniques like emulating videos shot with phone cameras to obscure that they are professionally made. 

Affinity Photo 

16 hours ago, R C-R said:

Yes, that is the next big thing in the advertising world after simple product placement -- integrate the ad into the video as seamlessly as possible. But even more insidious is what is sometimes known as "viral marketing," where the video is the ad, but presented as entertainment with no obvious reference to the product or service being promoted. There are even companies that specialize in making these things, using techniques like emulating videos shot with phone cameras to obscure that they are professionally made. 

16 hours ago, R C-R said:

It seems its always getting worse. Here they are modifying old TV shows to insert "product placement" ads right into the actual episode!

"New technology could add product placement to old TV programmes"

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jun/22/new-technology-could-add-product-placement-to-old-tv-programmes

On 3/27/2018 at 2:02 AM, Ben said:

I also end up having to watch our adverts when trying to watch stuff on YouTube (which in the real world would be barking mad), but YouTube advertising seems to be a bit of a blunt tool.

Quick workaround: click on the web page reload icon. It's usually near the upper left on the browser toolbar, to the right of the web page URL.

Reloading the page stops the playback (which is the ad), reloads the web page, allowing the video to play without the ad.  This should also protect the vendor having a full 2-minute customer viewer charged to their account