You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New course - 'Affinity Photo: Developing Landscapes' released on Udemy

Hi everyone.

After being part of a conversation with one of the forum members where they expressed a wish to have a start to finish set of tutorials about developing landscapes I thought I'd do something about it. So here it is:

https://www.udemy.com/affinity-photo-developing-landscapes/

I've tried to make it different from the other courses I've done. Instead of presenting a range of tools and techniques, I've made the workflow a priority. You get to develop a series of (downloadable) landscape photos and follow a series of steps to get to the finished photo. There are variations with each photo, but the process is similar each time. I've done this for two reasons. The first is that, given this is a workflow based course, it seems only sensible to practice that workflow repeatedly to make sure people get comfortable with it. The other is that I've chosen different kinds of landscape photos to demonstrate the flexibility of the method.

I hope it's of some use to you and thanks for your time,

Simon

Simon,

I watched the teaser videos you made and it looks like this course will be another winner. This seems like a course that would go well with your other Affinity Photo courses perhaps after the basics or concurrently with Tips and Tricks. Would I be right in assuming that the workflow you're teaching in this course would apply equally well to non-landscape subjects?

Ed

Hi EdD & thanks for the kind words. To answer your questions, I think a complete beginner would find the course a bit too much. That said, I've done a bonus section at the end which includes some videos taken from the Solid Foundations & iPad course on Udemy which cover the absolute basics of layer masks, curves, layer blend modes & what a layer actually is. I also point people to the free 90 page guide plus relevant blog articles on my website. The bottom line is, if someone has digested the Solid Foundations course they should have no problem  following along & understanding stuff. That was always the intention of the Solid Foundations course - teach the (well...) foundations & then for other courses go on to more advanced stuff that I know I've taught and people can refer back to the foundations course.

At a push I'd say do it before the Little Box of Tricks course. Get a workflow in place first and get comfortable with it because the Box of Tricks course is more about various things that can be slotted into a workflow.

As for it being suitable for other subjects, I'd say yes, but with the proviso that I've tried to provide a workflow that's most suited for landscapes. I think possibly the biggest problem with landscapes is a too bright sky and/or a too dark background so it was designed with that in mind. I've also tried to give a workflow that I think is best suited for Affinity Photo users. I might do things differently with another image editor. When I selected the files that people can see for free I was careful to include the overview video (video 3) where I list the steps I repeat through the various photos I develop. That way people can get a clear idea of what the course offers in addition to the intro video.

I have to say I'm curious to see what people will make of it. I'm open to feedback on this forum/thread. If I feel it's something people want then there's plenty of other courses I can think of along similar lines. For example Affinity Photo: Developing Portraits or Affinity Photo: Master Layer Blend Modes/Curves etc. This course came about because of one or two members of this forum - hey! Give people what they want! I hope so. I'm also curious about what people make of the section towards the end where I touch upon a couple of the Nik Collection plug ins. This is uncharted territory and more advanced that any of the previous courses. Let's see what happens...

Cheers again EdD,

Simon

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/12/2017 at 0:32 AM, drippy cat said:

Hi everyone.

After being part of a conversation with one of the forum members where they expressed a wish to have a start to finish set of tutorials about developing landscapes I thought I'd do something about it. So here it is:

https://www.udemy.com/affinity-photo-developing-landscapes/

I've tried to make it different from the other courses I've done. Instead of presenting a range of tools and techniques, I've made the workflow a priority. You get to develop a series of (downloadable) landscape photos and follow a series of steps to get to the finished photo. There are variations with each photo, but the process is similar each time. I've done this for two reasons. The first is that, given this is a workflow based course, it seems only sensible to practice that workflow repeatedly to make sure people get comfortable with it. The other is that I've chosen different kinds of landscape photos to demonstrate the flexibility of the method.

I hope it's of some use to you and thanks for your time,

Simon

Hi Simon,

I was the person who started the discussion on a full landscape workflow. I want to buy the video, but the one thing that is stopping me is why do we have to pay in $? As you know currency goes up and down all the time and we get penalised by which ever card we use to convert to another currency. Can we not pay in good old £? The other point I want to make is, you need to find a better way of announcing the realise of new videos. I found this purely by chance as I was scrolling through various posts. This is in your best interests to let members know when you add new videos.

Regards

Mikep

Ah! There you are! Hi mikep. I was looking for the original thread where we had a brief conversation when I released the course so I could add to it. But I couldn't find it.

What method would you suggest I choose for announcing new courses? This thread we're posting on is the announcement topic, and I don't want to do more than this because I don't want to start spamming this forum. If I update the course or have anything new to say I'll post here. But in all conscience I wouldn't go creating new threads to announce something I've already announced previously. I may make an announcement in a few days offering discount coupons for the various courses but that comes under the category of something new to say.

As for the £ and $ thing, it makes sense for me to set the base price in dollars because the USA represents the majority of my customers and the dollar is more recognised worldwide than sterling. Udemy doesn't let me set the local currency rate. I get to choose one currency when I initially set the price so I think it best to consider my largest audience. But I'm based in the UK. If I log out and search for one of my courses, the price is listed as sterling, not dollars. So Udemy seems to know from my web browser which country  I'm in & presents the prices in local currency. It's also in round numbers so I'm not sure that fluctuations in exchange rates will have much of an effect. Then again I'm not the greatest economist the world has ever seen.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Simon,

I bought this course, have been through it once and found it very helpful. I left a review on Udemy.

The workflow was very useful for me and I was particularly interested in the way you use various zones to correct or adjust an image in only the appropriate areas. The action on the NIK plugins was really good too. I've never used NIK before but downloaded them after watching that section. I can see there's enormous potential there and was particularly interested in the way you showed to control the changes in specific parts of an image.

So, IMO this course is another hit and well worth the price of admission. Well done (again). :)

Ed

On 16/12/2017 at 2:43 AM, EdD said:

Hi Simon,

I bought this course, have been through it once and found it very helpful. I left a review on Udemy.

The workflow was very useful for me and I was particularly interested in the way you use various zones to correct or adjust an image in only the appropriate areas. The action on the NIK plugins was really good too. I've never used NIK before but downloaded them after watching that section. I can see there's enormous potential there and was particularly interested in the way you showed to control the changes in specific parts of an image.

So, IMO this course is another hit and well worth the price of admission. Well done (again). :)

Ed

Cheers for that Ed! I read the review & blushed. More seriously, I had no idea how this course would be received because the approach is a departure from what I normally do. So the fact that you & others got something useful out of it really makes my day.

Thanks again!

Simon

8 hours ago, Geminitiger said:

Hi Simon,just noticed when i clicked on your  link a bit further down the ipad course was £15 but when i clicked it ,it went up to £29?

Hi Geminitiger. Eh? First of all I'm very sorry to hear that & can only apologise. Secondly I have to say that Udemy runs sale prices on my courses all the time without telling me they are doing so. That's not a criticism - if they are promoting my courses via sale prices then I'm not in a position to complain. Unfortunately it does mean that I haven't done a sales promotion for a long time because I never know if I'm clashing with what Udemy is doing. So those two prices you were given are as much of a surprise to me as they were to you.

But what I will do in the next few days is to offer a limited amount of coupons which give discounts on all the courses. That way, hopefully you get the course at a price you like.

Cheers,

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my word, I am SOOOO glad I stumbled across this thread, while still in my 10 day free Affinity Photo trial. Although I am really comfortable with Photoscape, I am a complete newbie with the more professional programs like Photoshop and Affinity, which are way less intuitive to use. But I am getting started with Stock photography, and need a non-destructive editing program, which is why I tried Affinity (hate the monthly payment set-up in Adobe.) I had watched a few of the official tutorials, but was just becoming more lost and frustrated. I had almost decided not to buy Affinity. Reading through this thread, I realised I am not ready for the landscape course, but found an awesome deal on Solid Foundations and Box of Tricks, so i decided to give it one last try. (On Udemy, by buying both, even in terms of our feeble South African currency, it was really reasonable!)

I have devoured the Solid Foundations in the last couple of days, and by lesson 5, went ahead and bought the program, totally convinced that a) it is as good as they say, and b) even my addled old brain WILL be able to wrap around it! Thanks so much, Drippy Cat, I am already feeling that I can take my photography to new levels.

I have just had a look at your link above and it is on offer at £10.99 (two more days to go at this price). Not wanting to miss a bargain,  I bought it even though I have not yet finished my current drippy cat course! 

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630