You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Will Affinity Photo handle the Nikon D850 files

Dear Affinity,

I purchased your photo software this week and I am in awe of the quality of your product and your tutorials.  I cannot believe that I was lucky enough to stumble upon Affinity Software.  Thank you so very much.

My question is: I am considering purchasing the new Nikon D850 and if I do, will Affinity Photo be able to handle the rather large files that the D850 generates?

Thank you again, and you have a great product.

John Shyer,
California US

• 3 months later...
On 10/27/2017 at 3:26 AM, Lee D said:

Hi John,

Welcome to the forums.

Affinity Photo will open RAW files from the Nikon D850 however it's not officially on our supported RAW list but may be added once we release the 1.6 update.

Hi Lee,

I have not as yet purchased Affinity...want to.... but I read in your post Oct 27 that it will open D850 NEF files but not on official list...any updates since then? I can't find the official RAW list.

followup to my post above...I downloaded the trial and it will not open NEF raw files created by d850....I tried and it hangs up the program. The program is working fine because I was able to open NEF raw files created by a D7000. Please get the program updated for the D850 which is selling like hotcakes!

58 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi tomtomtomtom,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Here's the link for the official Supported Raw Cameras (1.6.x) list. As Lee said above Affinity Photo 1.6.6 is already able to open files from Nikon D850. What's the version of the trial you are running?

I deleted trial and reinstalled...version 1.6.6....Mac is running High Sierra....same results........hangs up...never opens the D850 files and then crashes....will load RAW NEF files taken with Nikon D7000 (opens in seconds).....don't want to dispute what Lee said but doesn't seem to work at this end. Any help is appreciated.

_8500191.NEF

7 minutes ago, tomtomtomtom said:

I deleted trial and reinstalled...version 1.6.6....Mac is running High Sierra....same results........hangs up...never opens the D850 files and then crashes....will load RAW NEF files taken with Nikon D7000 (opens in seconds).....don't want to dispute what Lee said but doesn't seem to work at this end. Any help is appreciated.

_8500191.NEF

For what little it is worth, your _8500191.NEF file opens fine here. I am using Affinity Photo 1.6.6 & running High Sierra version 10.13.3 (17D47).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

19 minutes ago, R C-R said:

For what little it is worth, your _8500191.NEF file opens fine here. I am using Affinity Photo 1.6.6 & running High Sierra version 10.13.3 (17D47).

Are you using the trial of Affinity?...or the purchased version?...can't imagine that it would make a difference but I'm stumped.

30 minutes ago, tomtomtomtom said:

Are you using the trial of Affinity?...or the purchased version?...can't imagine that it would make a difference but I'm stumped.

The purchased version.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, tomtomtomtom said:

_8500191.NEF

Works for the D850 too (AP 1.6 under El Capitan), though you must have patience here since it takes one Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi...

AP_d850_600.jpg.0ff1a937b55dbb0a38b43dcf014ee5e7.jpg

...in contrast NX-D is much faster and also gives better initial well balanced results here as a RAW processor...

NXD_D850_600.jpg.19eed498fabfc7911f4a9833eade5908.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

26 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Works for the D850 too (AP 1.6 under El Capitan), though you must have patience here since it takes one Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi...

AP_d850_600.jpg.0ff1a937b55dbb0a38b43dcf014ee5e7.jpg

...in contrast NX-D is much faster and also gives better initial well balanced results here as a RAW processor...

NXD_D850_600.jpg.19eed498fabfc7911f4a9833eade5908.jpg

ask you also...is this a trial version or the purchased version....don't have a problem buying since it works ok with you guys on purchased version.

This is a purchased version though it also worked before with a trial version, since there is usually no difference between those versions (except the 10 days limited trial time) and as far as they transport the same built version number.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

8 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

This is a purchased version though it also worked before with a trial version, since there is usually no difference between those versions (except the 10 days limited trial time) and as far as they transport the same built version number.

Very interesting....works fine with my NX-D also...works fine with D7000 RAW...nothing with trial version D850.....don't get the problem on my end

Well the D7K is prett much supported everywhere (mostly every RAW converter I know) since it's an older model nowadays, I too have still one D7K laying around here which I use from time to time. Though in terms of RAW converters not everything is equally good working and optimal for Nikon NEF files at all. In the past I've looked and tested a bunch of those, comparing how and what they can produce out of NEF files. I came to the conclusion that Nikon's own software (CNX2, NX-D) for it's cams still has an edge (an advantage) here over other software so giving overall the best results. Some other RAW converters like LR, C1, DxO, Aperture can come quite close, but with much more overall effort and tweaking here.

For the D850 personally I would use a more capable RAW converter, since that FF cam can produce much more finer grade RAW data shots when coupled with good glas under certain lighting conditions.

Related to AD it might have been some installation problem or something went odd due to the continous Apple HS updates here etc.

• Staff

Hi tomtomtomtom,

I believe you have changed the RAW engine to Apple (Core Image RAW). Open Affinity Photo, open a RAW file from other camera (other than the Nikon D850), go to menu View ▸ Assistant Manager... and change the first dropdown (RAW engine) to Serif Labs). Now open the RAW from Nikon D850. It should open correctly now.

If you want to use the Apple (Core Image RAW) engine instead make sure you have your camera set to use the Nikon RAW L format.

6 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi tomtomtomtom,

I believe you have changed the RAW engine to Apple (Core Image RAW). Open Affinity Photo, open a RAW file from other camera (other than the Nikon D850), go to menu View ▸ Assistant Manager... and change the first dropdown (RAW engine) to Serif Labs). Now open the RAW from Nikon D850. It should open correctly now.

If you want to use the Apple (Core Image RAW) engine instead make sure you have your camera set to use the Nikon RAW L format.

Opened D7000 raw file...did above...already set to Serif Labs...used D850 file...hangs up and won't open....closed program and did above...switched to Apple...Raw+L  file.....exact same problem

Obviously am not going to purchase if program can't seem to handle my D850 files....others above seem to work ok with purchased program but don't want to spend money to find out that I have the same issues (btw...latest High Sierra... activity monitor shows using fraction of memory and CPU)

• Staff

Hi tomtomtomtom,

Can you please upload one of your files using this link so we take a closer look here and rule out any possible file issues? We can then move to other possible causes.

I've tried quite a few samples already and all are being opened correctly (including on the latest trial).

Thanks for your support and patience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi tomtomtomtom,

Thanks for the two files. Both files open correctly for me both in the Photo Retail 1.6.6 and Trial 1.6.6 (check screenshots below using the trial) running on macOS High Sierra using both the Serif Labs and Apple (Core Image RAW engines).

I'm not sure why you are having trouble. If your trial is still working can you please launch it with (ctrl) held down until a Clear User Data dialog appears then remove the ticks for Don't restore window and documents and Reset Studio. Leave only Clear User Defaults checked then press Clear. Does it open the files after the reset?

On macOS Sierra the files open correctly both in the Retail 1.6.6 and Trial 1.6.6 using the Serif Labs engine. The Apple (Core Image RAW) doesn't support Nikon D850 files on macOS Sierra.

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 12.10.57.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 12.09.06.jpg