You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] Transparency Tool (Y) on pixel layer

Si all, 

how can i use the transparency tool on an image that has been rasterised?

When you import images in affinity designer they are displayed as "image" in layer panel. But since you rasterize them, they are defined as "pixel".

Is there a way to put "pixel" back into "image" in order to use transparency tool on them?

Or is there a way to use transparency tool on pixel?

Thanks !

Bento

Art Director at Tribu And Co | French web agency - See our work at http://www.tribu-and-co.fr

• Staff

Hi Bento,
The Transparency tool can only be applied to Image layers. There's no way to convert a pixel layer back to an image layer unless you place/drop the original again on canvas (or export the rasterised version and place/drop in on the document again). You can also use a mask (vector or raster based) to control the transparency of pixel layers.
We have this logged but there wasn't any development here yet. I will bump the report and refer to this thread.

Copy the Pixel layer then select Edit > Paste Special and choose PNG

A new image Layer will be created to which you can add transparency

(delete or hide the old Pixel layer, afterwards)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

44 minutes ago, MEB said:

You can also use a mask (vector or raster based) to control the transparency of pixel layers.
We have this logged but there wasn't any development here yet. I will bump the report and refer to this thread.

Either it is a bug, or you are talking about something other than what I understand. I clicked the mask icon while a pixel layer was selected. Now whether I click the layer with the mask or the mask thumbnail, the tool still does not work.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

10 minutes ago, Bento said:

Thanks MEB, and nice workaround Carl ! -> Mhhh i don't see "Past spécial" in AD ?

Sounds like you are on a MAC, you don't get Paste Special for some reason.  It works on Windows,

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Sounds like you are on a MAC, you don't get Paste Special for some reason.  It works on Windows,

It is in Mac as well.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff

Hi Bri-Toon,
The mask suggestion i gave has nothing to do with the transparency tool. It's just another method for controlling the transparency of the object the mask is nested to.

@Bento Paste Special is only available on the Windows version. The workaround carl123 suggested cannot be performed on a Mac.

Thanks to you 3, i'll continue to reimport images to do what i need. 

In fact i shouldn't have those issues, but i'm using "Edit in photo" to work on visuals as i'm crafting my webdesigns so from time to time i might rasterize layer.

This not optimum but AD's still young, i'll be patient ^^.

Art Director at Tribu And Co | French web agency - See our work at http://www.tribu-and-co.fr

• 2 years later...
On 8/1/2017 at 8:01 AM, carl123 said:

Copy the Pixel layer then select Edit > Paste Special and choose PNG

A new image Layer will be created to which you can add transparency

(delete or hide the old Pixel layer, afterwards)

Thanks! Nice work around Carl 123!

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, MEB said:

Alternatively on macOS or Windows you can group the pixel layer with itself and apply the transparency to the group.

Which definitely is a faster and easier work around! Thanks for sharing the tip @MEB!