You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clearing contents of a layer, not deleting the layer

• 1 year later...

Imo, this is a rather big and silly oversight. When using AP as a painting tool, this can be a very much used feature. I use it about a hundred times per painting. 
Anyway, I have an easier workaround than the flood fill tool, because let's face it, who has the time to switch tools in mid painting flow? 

It's simple: Select all layer content (ctrl+a). Now pressing delete or backspace will result in the layer being cleared, but not removed. 

While painting in AP I make it a habit to always paint with the entire layer selected, so I can just press delete at any time. This prevents me from wanting to commit suicide when doing stuff like trying out brushes.

But seriously, this workaround should not be required at all.

Good luck!

On 9/17/2018 at 7:19 PM, Engelbert said:

Imo, this is a rather big and silly oversight. When using AP as a painting tool, this can be a very much used feature. I use it about a hundred times per painting. 
Anyway, I have an easier workaround than the flood fill tool, because let's face it, who has the time to switch tools in mid painting flow? 

It's simple: Select all layer content (ctrl+a). Now pressing delete or backspace will result in the layer being cleared, but not removed. 

While painting in AP I make it a habit to always paint with the entire layer selected, so I can just press delete at any time. This prevents me from wanting to commit suicide when doing stuff like trying out brushes.

But seriously, this workaround should not be required at all.

Good luck!

Are you referring to the iPad version (I didn't know you could do ctrl-a)?

On 9/18/2018 at 1:19 AM, Engelbert said:

Imo, this is a rather big and silly oversight.

Is there any reason why you can't just tap on the History studio then tap on the step before you started painting?

or if you are trying out a brush, just tap with two fingers to remove the stroke/strokes by using undo. Either will keep all your settings etc, unless you go too far, but then, you can redo with three fingers.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.