You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stroke function? Reorder layers?

Does the Affinity Photo App have a way to stroke an image?

Also, is there a way to reorder the layers. I would like to create a new layer and move it under the background layer.

I didn't get any sleep last night because I was up all night exploring your magnificent app!

Cricket

If by stroke an image you mean an auto trace function, then no it does not include that.

To reorder layers, just drag them up or down in the Layers panel.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi Cricket,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I believe you are referring to the new Affinity Photo for iOS. Can you confirm this please?

No sure if i understood you first question. Can you rephrase it please? You can apply an Outline FX effect to the image if you want.

To move a layer, tap and hold it for a few moments until a blue line appears then drag it to wherever you want in the Layers Studio.

MEB, I am just curious about this but is what is called the Layers panel in the desktop apps properly referred to in the iPad app as the Layers Studio?

If so, any idea why they don't use the same nomenclature?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi R C-R

Yes, the Desktop apps refer to that panel as Layers panel (which belongs to a Studio along with other panels), while on iPad each panel is called a Studio (in this case Layers Studio).

More important than that, there's also other significant differences in the way the app is structured on the iPad - for example there's a Selections Persona on the iOS version - while on the desktop the selection tools are naturally integrated in the toolbar. This is due to the differences in the interfaces types and size constraints imposed by UI elements, so i don't know if there needs to be a direct relation/nomenclature between the two - desktop and mobile version - as long as the commands/tools remain identifiable/familiar (which does happen) and there's parity between the tools/settings.

Some users may also use just one of the versions, without knowing or being interested in the other.

Thanks for the reply. I was already aware of some of the structural differences from watching the first 6-8 of the new tutorials (no supported iPad so I am limited to that). I just wondered if there was some particular reason for calling the panels studios instead of panels that I was not aware of.

It seems like it might be a bit confusing for users going back & forth between the desktop apps & the iPad one but maybe that is just me.

Affinity Photo 

If by stroke an image you mean an auto trace function, then no it does not include that.

To reorder layers, just drag them up or down in the Layers panel.

Thank you for your reply.

Stroke, in Photoshop means adding a line of a few pixels around the entire picture. It's useful to make the photo look finished.

I'm using AP for IPad Pro.

Maybe the original poster meant the option to add a stroke to a vector path. Is that actually possible? And if so, how?  :unsure:

Hi Cricket,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I believe you are referring to the new Affinity Photo for iOS. Can you confirm this please?

No sure if i understood you first question. Can you rephrase it please? You can apply an Outline FX effect to the image if you want.

To move a layer, tap and hold it for a few moments until a blue line appears then drag it to wherever you want in the Layers Studio.

Sorry, for the late response...I was driving from Idaho to California.

I'm using AP for iOS I have an iPad Pro. I wasn't referring to a vector path. What I want to do is add a black line or colored line of 5-10 pixels around the outside of a photo.