You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Retain initial shapes after boolian

In Figma, after applying a boolian method, the user is still able to see and interact with the shapes that were used for the boolian method. These shapes are also still editable and maneuverable, as if they were a part of a group. I find this rather useful and quite cool. Maybe you guys could do something similar?

jA7aTwF.gif

• Staff

Hi Crionis,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can perform non-destructive boolean operations in Affinity Designer/Photo pressing and holding ⌥ (option/alt) while clicking on the respective boolean operation icon on the main toolbar or on the menu command (on Mac). In Affinity Photo you may want to add the  the boolean Operations group to the main toolbar as it's not there by default.

tip.gif It's a good idea to post to the Questions & Feedback forum in the first instance if you're unsure how to do something in the program. If it turns out that what you want to do isn't currently possible, a moderator can then change your question thread into a feature request thread.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi Crionis,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can perform non-destructive boolean operations in Affinity Designer/Photo pressing and holding ⌥ (option/alt) while clicking on the respective boolean operation icon on the main toolbar or on the menu command (on Mac). In Affinity Photo you may want to add the  the boolean Operations group to the main toolbar as it's not there by default.

You guys do think about everything, don't you? :D

Glad to be here, really like your work!

tip.gif It's a good idea to post to the Questions & Feedback forum in the first instance if you're unsure how to do something in the program. If it turns out that what you want to do isn't currently possible, a moderator can then change your question thread into a feature request thread.

Agreed! I wasn't aware this is how it's done here. I'll remember to do so ongoing :)

• Staff

Hi Crionis,

In Affinity Designer they are already on the main toolbar by default (see screenshot). It's the same icons as the booleans operations. If you press ⌥ (option/alt) while clicking on them you create a compound object (a non-destructive boolean operation) which you can expand in the Layers panel to access the original shapes. If you don't press ⌥ (option/alt) while clicking on the icons you perform a destructive boolean operation instead (that is, the result is a single flattened shape).

post-59-0-86016600-1491746033_thumb.jpg

Hi Crionis,

In Affinity Designer they are already on the main toolbar by default (see screenshot). It's the same icons as the booleans operations. If you press ⌥ (option/alt) while clicking on them you create a compound object (a non-destructive boolean operation) which you can expand in the Layers panel to access the original shapes. If you don't press ⌥ (option/alt) while clicking on the icons you perform a destructive boolean operation instead (that is, the result is a single flattened shape).

attachicon.gifboolean operations.jpg

Ah sorry, what I initially thought is that there is a separate set of those buttons that works like "alt+click" by default. I think it would be great to have such set available.. or to have an option to turn this on by default for the current set.

Ah sorry, what I initially thought is that there is a separate set of those buttons that works like "alt+click" by default. I think it would be great to have such set available.. or to have an option to turn this on by default for the current set.

Yes, it would be good to have an option for this. Coming to Affinity Designer from Serif DrawPlus, I was surprised at first to find that there was no 'Break Apart' command to undo what 'Combine' does, and it was quite a while before I discovered how to perform non-destructive Boolean operations.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)