You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a resource for Photoshop equivalents in Photo? (ex: opening a PDF without replacing fonts)

So happy to finally ditch Adobe! (I was on CS5.5 to avoid the CC fees)

I'm finding a lot of Photo is intuitive (like having transform available upon selection - smart!). But today I tried opening a PDF and Photo insisted on replacing the missing fonts. I couldn't find an option to prevent that - usually Ps just opened a pdf in an uneditable form while Ai would ask to replace missing fonts.

Maybe there's a resource for navigating the differences between Ps & Photo?

You can open a pdf in an uneditable form by placing it in AP document. If you just open it it tries to be editable.

Personally I find the goal of using embedded fonts in editably opened file rather ambitious as no other sw I know can do it. (Acrobat 5 did it but very limited way. Adobe has removed the feature since.)

Personally I find the goal of using embedded fonts in editably opened file rather ambitious as no other sw I know can do it. (Acrobat 5 did it but very limited way. Adobe has removed the feature since.)

Xara Designer Pro can utilize embedded fonts in a PDF--as well as other Serif Windows software. XDP simply opens the PDF without options to convert the type to curves. CorelDraw allows the option to convert type to curves.

Acrobat will allow one to type anything in a PDF that has type, using the same font as embedded in the PDF with the exception that one can only use the characters that are subsetted in the PDF. Alternatively, if one does have the font(s) available, Acrobat has always allowed the full embeding of those fonts and always has--at least if the font(s) in question have the proper embedibility flags set. It still has that capability. Acrobat can (and always has been) able to convert type to curves.

Acrobat will allow one to type anything in a PDF that has type, using the same font as embedded in the PDF with the exception that one can only use the characters that are subsetted in the PDF.

PDF-XChange Editor also allows you to type new text using the characters that are subsetted in the PDF file.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)