You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add to current selection

Morne,

Cmd Ctrl allows additional selections to be added to an already existing selection.

Example:

Click on the rectangular marquee tool, and draw a square - then hold Cmd Ctrl whilst dragging an additional rectangle.

You could also add or subtract from the toolbar above the canvas.

Is this what you were referring to?

Hope this helps.

High-End Photographic Prints

When I have someting selected, how can I add more stuff?

holding shift and selecting new area, forgets the previous area

Hello Morne,

in Windows the Right Mousebutton is used as a modifier key. So, if you want to add something to an existing selection you would first click and hold the Right Mousebutton, then click hold and drag the left Mouse button.

It works the other way around, too: first click and hold the Left Mousebutton, then click hold and drag the Right Mousebutton.

It needs a litte to get used to it and it is not as common as the Shift plus Left Mousebutton. But it works quite well.

Another thing: when you are in select mode like the Rectangular Marquee Tool there is a 'Mode' toolbar at the top left of the window where you can switch to 'Add', 'Subtract' and 'Intersect'. See here:

post-32410-0-07787300-1481573976_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

I've got a slightly similar question:

1. I made a selection with any selection tool
  2. I want to add or substract just the opaque/transparent pixels of other layers to it.

Crtl+Shift+click (on Win) on those specific layers in the layers palette sadly doesn't work the way it does in Photoshop.
Are there different shortcuts for this operation? Haven't tried, but it's the same on Mac OS I guess.

I know the workarounds, but this is so tedious and inconvenient to do every time.

Cheers and thanks
MrDoodlezz

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png