You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi! I was excited to lay my hands on Affinity photo. I enjoyed the other program, so I gave it a try. I was interested especially lighting effects and other stuff. To my dissapointment, it isn't too stable yet. Hard to find out how to move lighting source after I gave more than one to the picture. The lighting sometimes moves around without any reason. But always I tried, after I delete one lightsource and wish to use one only, the program crashes under Windows 10. Every single time. So is it the win or something else...?

• Staff

SallaiTibor,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

I hope we can get to the bottom of this for you, as that is clearly way off what we would expect. Someone from QA should reply to this thread in the morning.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hello,

Tested, out of curiosity. If the workflow is: 

1) Add a light (omni)

2) position it, rotate, change settings, etc.

3) click add to add another one. The gizmo of first one disappears, but the effect wanted over the graphic, stays (so, is fine)

4) Reached till ading 3 lights (omni) , no issues.

But all that in Windows 7 Home premium 64 bits.

I am reporting because I have experienced a crash, wanted to report, in case is of any help. To reproduce it :

1) Add one OMNI light. Handle it, change settings.

2) Add another one. Handle it, change settings.

3) Add a directional light. HANDLE it (if you don't, it doesn't crash later). The gizmo of the directional, BTW, is same as a spot light gizmo (directional lights in 3d tend to be just a line, with an origin point, not a cone. Maybe is related ?)

4) Hit "delete" to delete the light (which works for omni lights) .

Then a crash occurs, with application error from Windows, and after hittng "ok" the application terminates. (no save possibility, os is a "hard crash")

Adding here a screenshot.

Please excuse the Spanish UI, should have installed it in English (is the same for me), I just thought this way I could help with the Spanish translations typos.

post-31469-0-51574200-1479167111_thumb.jpg

I hope it's helpful.   :)

About the OP issue, no idea, can be Windows, a graphic card driver problem... The lights are being added in the top left corner of the image, but the farther tip of the cone base, staying all cone outside the image. You need to zoom out a lot to see it and grab it. I mention in case you are just at full image size and are not seeing the gizmo every time it is added.

EDIT: Same screen with some overlaid explanations :

post-31469-0-88781900-1479167624_thumb.jpg

Translation of the error message : "There have been a non controlled exception. Code : ...."

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

This issue came up in a few other threads already:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/28353-lighting-filter-add-copy-remove-etc/?hl=lighting

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/28151-live-lighting-and-reset-of-effect-location/?hl=lighting

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/28032-selection-and-lighting-filter-bug/?hl=lighting

I know it's exciting the whole Affinity news, especially for Windows users like myself :)

But, in order to avoid duplicated thread, which may turn difficult to track for both developers and users, let's search first. I myself was going to post the same issue yesterday! ;)

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

In attempting to use the Live Lighting, I have run into the problem that the dialogue box is so large that I cannot apply the setting I have made. The dialogue box is so large I cannot even move it. I have even changed the resolution of my monitor, but still the same problem. This may be due to my computer, for it is starting to have some issues.  However, I can easily move any and all of the other dialogue boxes that are related to Layers. Any suggestions?  

Hi,

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but if I add a new light source by clicking the Add button, the original one goes away. Instead I see a new light source with the same color as the previous one appear in one corner of the image. Not able to get back to the original one. 

Thanks.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.