You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

CTRL + Y removes my colors

I made a yellow rectangle, then duplicated it 3 times.  I then pressed CTRL+Y .  That caused the color to disappear from all my rectangles.  The colors show in the layers, but not on the objects. 

Then I drew a drew an ellipse and again, no color on the workspace but the blue shows in the Layers.  Same with the red.  So, how do I get my colors back on the images? 

post-28632-0-93491500-1478896682_thumb.jpg

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

Mark,  I have not modified any of the keys.  I don't even know how to do that.  I am not a "key" person.  The only reason I tried this is because two other people on my forum are having problems with this.   I told them they needed to report it but not sure they have done so yet.

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

I just downloaded and installed  beta #36 and still get the same results.  Ctrl+Y toggles between the line view and regular view.   I did reset the tools but as I said, I didn't change any of them to start with. I'm a "mouser" and seldom use a key other than the Undo, Copy and Paste. 

I will make sure my users have downloaded the latest version and will have them try this again.  At least you solved what was happening for me. Instead of CTRL+Y  causing an Undo, it toggles off and on between line mode and regular.  I will get more details on their problems. Some are reluctant to post a problem on a strange forum  but will on mine as we've been on-line since the last century almost.

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

ctrl+y does absolutely nothing here. I've never modified the shortcuts (I find the shortcuts in Preferences an incredibly slow process). Nor after using the Reset shortcut in Preferences, nor resetting AD.

Mike

I and one other person in my forum are having the same problem. We both have the latest version, and CTRL+Y toggles the Outline mode off and on. 

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

MaryLou, if it does help you and the people in your forum, I can walk you through the steps in how to modify the keys. For me, I have Ctrl Z as Undo and Ctrl Y and Redo.

1. First click Edit > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts

2. Switch "File" to "Edit" in the second drop-down menu

3. Undo and Redo will show up first in the list. Click in the box next to them and add in your own key command

4. Click "Save" and save the setting to your own computer location 

Keep in mind that once you redo to your most latest state, you will enter outline view.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I think that made it worse.  I followed your instructions. 

On the screen where the key strokes are, the Redo window had a CTRL+Shift+something else... (II didn't make note of it).

I clicked in the box next to it and started to type the word Ctrl. As soon as I type the letter C, I got a yellow triangle with an explanation point in the box and it won't let me type anymore.

Next, , I clicked the Reset button and it auto filled in Ctrl+Y.   I then saved the settings and closed the window.

Closed AD, then re-opened it.  Opened a new document and drew a rectangle.

Filled the rectangle with green.  Didn't like that so filled it with blue.  Didn't want that either so I filled it again with red. Decided to go back to the blue so tried CTRL+Y and nothing happens. Absolutely nothing.

I"m attaching the screen where I tried to type in the key stroke.

Even though this didn't work, all was not lost.  Now I know where and how to change a key stroke!  Thanks for that!

post-28632-0-30487000-1478920816_thumb.jpg

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

On the screen where the key strokes are, the Redo window had a CTRL+Shift+something else... (II didn't make note of it).

The old 'Redo' shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+Z.

I clicked in the box next to it and started to type the word Ctrl. As soon as I type the letter C, I got a yellow triangle with an explanation point in the box and it won't let me type anymore.

You don't type the word 'Ctrl', you hold down the Ctrl key. (C is the default shortcut for the Corner Tool.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Ahhh,, that makes sense!  I tried it and yes, that works.  This is good to know if case I ever decided to make my own shortcuts. 

I just figured out what I was doing wrong!  You have to use the Ctrl+Z before you can use CTRL+Y!   DUH!!!  I was looking at it in the wrong way and I bet Mike is too.  Now I understand!   I'm glad I'm not the only one who was having this problem.  While I feel pretty dumb at the moment, I would have felt even dumber if I had been the only one.

Thanks for all the help.  I learned a LOT from this experience.  As they say, you learn from your mistakes and in this case, I did!  I will explain it to those in my group who are having the same problem.  :)

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

You don't need to feel dumb. There are a lot of basic things in software we all overlook.

As for that yellow triangle, that is just an indication telling you that you will be changing a programmed setting to something else or use the same key command as another shortcut. If you type in a blank box and don't use an already-made key command, the yellow triangle shouldn't show at all.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

If you type in a blank box or don't use an already-made key command, the yellow triangle shouldn't show at all.

Or rather, if you type in a blank box and don't use an already-made key command, the yellow triangle shouldn't show at all. ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Or rather, if you type in a blank box and don't use an already-made key command, the yellow triangle shouldn't show at all. ;)

You may want to read my post again. (Cough) It's not like I edited it or anything. (Cough)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.