You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What to do with all the shape tools in Affinity?

I've been looking through all the tutorials, and the posts on the forum, so apologies if I have missed something---I'm very new to Affinity.  Is there a tutorial that demonstrates what can be done with the various shapes included under the rectangle tool?  In my old Photoshop Elements 8 there were shape tools that could be used as crop shapes, etc., say, if I wanted to crop something to an oval shape,  but apparently these shapes don't work the same way in Affinity.  It looks as though there are some interesting possibilities there with all those shapes, but at this point I don't quite know how to use them---except for the rectangle shape, to create a border. Anyone?  

In my old Photoshop Elements 8 there were shape tools that could be used as crop shapes, etc., say, if I wanted to crop something to an oval shape,  but apparently these shapes don't work the same way in Affinity.

You can use any shape as a crop shape. Draw the shape (e.g. an ellipse) on top of the object that you want to crop, and then go to the Layers panel, click and drag on the crop shape's thumbnail and drop it on top of the other object's thumbnail.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi, Caroline,

You didn't say if you were using Affinity Designer or Photo.

I just have AD, but I think both have the same set of shape tools. I spent my 1st week w. AD just exploring the shape tools, and their variations. My recollection is that there are in excess of 400 shape variants. I'm uncertain if Photo has the corner tool, which can modify shapes even farther.

Here is a quick example. Dragged a seabed image onto an AD document. Cropped it w a diamond shape. Duplicated, and formed a set of tiles. Dropped those into a cog shape w. no fill.

post-34886-0-11677100-1477230138_thumb.jpg

Same can be done w. shapes created by the pen and pencil tools.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

It is as simple as Alfred explained; however, quite a few users overlook that you need to drop the crop shape on the thumbnail (the little icon on the left) of the other layer to do this. If you drop it on the text part of the other layer, it instead becomes a child of that layer.

Child layers do not crop their parent layer; instead they only appear where they overlap with the parent layer, more or less the opposite of what you want cropping to do.

Both are useful features but knowing the difference between how each is created can cut down on those 'wtf just happened?' moments when learning how to use the app.  :)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks to all  for your  very helpful replies!  At this point I am using only Affinity Photo.   Figuring it out a little at a time. I'm not completely unfamiliar with image editing---used PSE 8 in a fairly basic way for years, mostly for  simple cropping and color & light adjustments.  I never used layers much, and didn't really understand them until  I started with Affinity, but am beginning to "get it. " Alfred's suggestion worked---after a couple tries, I got the part about dragging the crop shape to the right place. Eventually I'll remember what I did right so I can do it again! It just takes patience and the willingness to be persistent.  :)

Alfred's suggestion worked---after a couple tries, I got the part about dragging the crop shape to the right place. Eventually I'll remember what I did right so I can do it again! It just takes patience and the willingness to be persistent.  :)

When the crop shape thumbnail has been dragged to the right place, you'll see a short, fat, vertical blue line immediately to the right of the target thumbnail. When dragging an object to the text part of another object to make it become clipped by (i.e. a child of) the target object, you get a long, fat, horizontal blue line extending to the right of the target object's thumbnail.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Alfred, good to know about those blue lines. I saw them, but wasn't sure at first what they meant.  A little tricky at first, but now I'm getting it. Once I've done it a zillion times....    Thanks MEB for the tip on the drop zone  tutorials. I have actually discovered the video Tutorials for AP  and have been working my way through them! They're very helpful, though I have to watch most of them several times.