You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Correction / Prepress missing tools

Hi,

on a regular basis I check Affinity Photo to asses how close it has become to a viable alternative for Color Correction / Prepress production jobs. People in this business (including friends and colleagues of mine, worldwide) tend to use an established set of techniques, which in turn require tools – not many, to tell the truth: we could be using Photoshop CS4 and do 99% of what's needed to get the job done.

FYI, what would make legions to operators switch to AP (but AP still misses) in my opinion are:

1. A proper set of Channel Blending tools, namely: Apply Image working on the open image's own channels: e.g. apply the Red to the Green, Lighten mode, 50% opacity. We use Channel Blending on ~80% of all images we work on. Calculations is handy too, but Apply Image would be OK.

2. A proper automation system: Macros are the first step, scripting is the second (I know there already are topics on this so I'll just mention it). Production doesn't only mean batch processing, but also dedicated script that can automate hundreds of steps based on each image's features.

The two above are, I would say, mandatory for people in my business. Which includes also savvy retouchers. A delightful extra, instead, as follows.

The AP team already gifted us with a true gem: Curves in RGB, Lab and CMYK – at the same time. What would obviously follow (at least for a color correction twisted mind) is a Channel Palette displaying at the same time R, G, B, C, M, Y, K, L, a, b, 10 channels. This, combined with Apply Image working on channels would make us drool and set on fire existing subscriptions.

I'm sure the engineering team has its own, well defined, priorities: my intention is to put to your attention what are the needs of some professionals in the imaging business.

Thanks for your attention and best regards,

Davide Barranca

Hi!

First message for me, but on a topic I really care.

Davide 1st point is deeply rooted (and needed) in education and training. To be able to deconstruct an image, in channels, to blend its parts, helps trainee understanding. And it is such a powerful and handy feature to work with (and it is so basic it is open for newbies).

I'm waiting for Win version to see if it will be possible to switch to Affinity Photo, it seems on paper a better deal for my students.

If developing will continue at this pace, and we will be able to tell our stories (and be listened) this will be the best tool for us.

Thank you for your hard work!

Daniele

I would also like to see both of these important features implemented in AP, please!  These are essential image manipulation tools for use in selections, masks and channel-based operations.  The current "Apply Image" command is of little use compared to the "traditional" Apply Image command referenced by Davide.

Thank you for your tireless development of AP.

kirk

• Staff

All,

I didn't realise that point 1.) was such a big thing - AP can obviously apply the "Apply Image" filter to select channels (just check the pen looking icon in the Channels panel whilst applying the filter). I see now that your example (ie. red from source to green in dest, using lighten, 50% opacity) is something that we don't do. I'll get that fixed ;)

Your other point (R,G,B,C,M,Y,K,L,a*,b*) in the channels tab is certainly very interesting - and certainly very possible.. I will investigate it.

Thanks,

Andy.

All,

I didn't realise that point 1.) was such a big thing - AP can obviously apply the "Apply Image" filter to select channels (just check the pen looking icon in the Channels panel whilst applying the filter). I see now that your example (ie. red from source to green in dest, using lighten, 50% opacity) is something that we don't do. I'll get that fixed ;)

Your other point (R,G,B,C,M,Y,K,L,a*,b*) in the channels tab is certainly very interesting - and certainly very possible.. I will investigate it.

Thanks,

Andy.

I wanted to do a macro to get all channels into one file but if you can do it I´m sure it will be even better!