You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not a question, more kudos

All my kids started computer drawing on my old Amiga, using a program call Deluxe Paint. All four became proficient, w. 2 getting degrees in fine arts. My younger daughter did not, but is now doing freelance design. She did her first computer drawing at age 3 1/2. We still have the glorious 90 dpi print out, called "Teddy bear falling off a mountain.".

Yesterday she stopped by, and so I showed her AD, and some clumsy work w. my new tablet.

Most of her work is in paint programs, not sure which, and I thought it might interest her to show how AD used both vector and bitmaps, particularly the vector brushes.

She was intrigued, and was also delighted with the performance. At one point, as I messed around varying the cog shape, she went "Whoa!" She said several times that some of what I showed her would have been very helpful in several recent jobs. She noted there were more blend modes than in Photoshop, which she has.

You folks at Serif have impressed someone who is quite proficient and practiced. Congrats.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• Staff

Hi gdenby,

It's nice always nice to hear from users and their experiences with our apps and what effects they can have on people. I remember good old Deluxe Paint, things are a little different now days  :)

Hope you continue to enjoy the app and it you feel like sharing any work, feel free to post in our Share your work section.

Regards

L

This is so nice. I am happy for your daughter, and I hope she's brave enough to have her work shown here. Let her know that a member (Brian) is routing for her to keep drawing and keep learning.

I showed some kids how I draw my cartoon characters on the computer, and they too got interested. Kids are a lot of fun.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

This is so nice. I am happy for your daughter, and I hope she's brave enough to have her work shown here. Let her know that a member (Brian) is routing for her to keep drawing and keep learning.

I showed some kids how I draw my cartoon characters on the computer, and they too got interested. Kids are a lot of fun.

Thanks for the support. My "kid," now 31, seems to be doing quite a bit of work, and even tho' I'm her dad, I think some of it is quite good. Not to go too far off topic, here's a link to a blog she was maintaining last year before she switched from a Mac to a Microsoft Surface. The ones shown are back from when she was still using CS4. Don't know what she is using now. 

She seemed very interested in AD, so she might show up here at some point. She appears to be continuing a collaboration on some comic book, and she said the AD "fly out" bubbles and rectangles really would have saved her a lot of time in the past few weeks. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

Huion WH1409 tablet

• Staff

The Cog shape was a labour of love.... Glad you like it.  ;)

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Gdenby,

I'm glad to hear it. It's great when kids grow up doing something they love. Anyway, you said there's a link to a blog your 31 year-old made. I think you forgot to add it.

:P

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Gdenby,

I'm glad to hear it. It's great when kids grow up doing something they love. Anyway, you said there's a link to a blog your 31 year-old made. I think you forgot to add it.

:P

Doh! My wife came into the room as I was posting, and she hadn't seen the page.

Huion WH1409 tablet

Well she has the drawing skills alright, better than what I can do (though I am still four years behind). Her art looks really cool. I'd be interested in any online drawing tutorials or speed drawing videos (if she's up to it).

I take it she's big on Star Wars. Who isn't? It rocks.

The Cog shape was a labour of love.... Glad you like it.   ;)

I think I've spent at least 12 hours "cogging" around. There was a "Star Trek Next Generation" on last might that I didn't remember. Hardly paid any attention 'cause I was busy adding, subtracting, dividing (OMG, look at all the layers) 48 and 36 toothed cogs of various sizes and corners.

Back in the day, lightshows made w. colored oil and water were all the rage. I think someone skilled w. AD could do even better.

Huion WH1409 tablet

Well she has the drawing skills alright, better than what I can do (though I am still four years behind). Her art looks really cool. I'd be interested in any online drawing tutorials or speed drawing videos (if she's up to it).

I take it she's big on Star Wars. Who isn't? It rocks.

I'll mention to her about doing some tutes. Her skill just appeared. Don't know if she has ever really though about what she is doing. She had just 1 course in watercolor. She did learn to paint kanji. And she spent years w. markers doing Dragonball-Z art.

Huion WH1409 tablet