You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Practical PhotoPlus (sorry) behavior: Ctrl V for pasting clipboard as new image and Ctrl L for pasting clipboard as new layer, both I use all the time but doesn't seem to work in Affinity Designer. There's a keyboard shortcut for just new from clipboard but it requires two hands and a foot (Ctrl Shift Alt N ). I really dislike keyboard shortcuts involving three or more buttons. Not sure yet if it's possible to paste as layer at all.

Also, always a bottleneck since each and every program supports either one or the other: drawing a marquee to select objects: some programs select everything the marquee surrounds and others select anything it touches.

I wish to have both options e.g. using a keyboard key while dragging the marquee. Often when zoomed in not all objects fit in the window while I like to include them in the selection.

Roberto

• Staff

Hi Roberto,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I agree the shortcut for pasting from the Clipboard to a new document is awkward. You can change it in the Keyboard Shortcuts section in the Preferences: set the first dropdown to Draw and the second to File - its the second item in the list below. You can use the regular ⌃(ctrl) V to paste to a new layer.

Regarding the marquee to select objects, currently you can change the behaviour in the Tools section (Preferences) to select all objects touched by the selection marquee but there's no way to switch between them through a modifier key (this is already possible - see Chris_k reply below).

HI Roberto

As you have pointed out we do have both options albeit under a different name. Whilst the default shortcut is quite chunky you are able to customise it in the keyboard shortcuts in the preferences dialog to something that suits you better. 

For the marquee selecting behaviour we actually do have both. You can switch between behaviours in the tools section of the preferences, or when draging out the marquee you can hold the right mouse button and it will select objects the marquee touches rather than full encompasses 

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Ow! That's one I didn't try; using the mouse :-P It's a bit getting used to but an excellent 'quick access' example ...it's totally Serif style! ;-)

Thanks for the info!

As for the shortcuts: New from clipboard is now Alt+N that one wasn't reserved yet.

Looked for creating macro's (create new layer - paste) for clipboard to layer but it seems macro's aren't supported (yet?).

Roberto

For the marquee selecting behaviour we actually do have both. You can switch between behaviours in the tools section of the preferences, or when draging out the marquee you can hold the right mouse button and it will select objects the marquee touches rather than full encompasses 

Since this is now in the questions forum, for the benefit of Mac users reading this, the right button click won't work for this (because it is the same as a Control-click, which immediately brings up the OS X contextual menu).

What does work, is to click to start the drag & then hold down the Control key. That always trips me up!

Also, this temporarily reverses whichever preference setting is in effect, so if that is set to select anything the marquee touches, the Control or right click temporarily changes it to selecting only fully enclosed objects. It is very handy ... if you can remember how to use it.  :wacko:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7