You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems with ai-files

Hi

If I want to open an ai-file (see attached file as example, created in CorelDraw), Designer crashes. What can I do?

KoBu

Paket für Sie.ai

Win10 HP i7 - AD (Win), AP (Win), APub (Win), AD (iPad), AP (iPad),
Affinity Photo for iPad Pro - the best app I ever had
excuse my bad English

Affinity Designer doesn't seem to like the umlaut in the file name 'Paket für Sie'. If I translate it to 'Package for you' or simply change 'für' to 'fuer' it opens OK (although there isn't any PDF content, so I just get a blank page in both AD and my PDF viewer).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi,

thank you for testing.

1. You are right: AD does not like "ü" or other "Umlaute". When changing the file-name, AD will not crash.

2. Then I get also an empty sheet. The picture and the text in the original CorelDraw-file are missing (see attached jpg). I think CorelDraw has an error when exporting the original into an ai-file.

KoBu

post-32342-0-91339500-1467460843_thumb.jpg

excuse my bad English

I don't have either CorelDRAW or Adobe Illustrator, but I believe you need to explicitly choose PDF compatibility when saving the file.

@Mark Ingram: I'm using 1.5.0.4, and KoBu's file still crashes AD (or opens as blank after renaming).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi,

thank you for testing. I'm using AD 1.5.0.4.

I have hundeds of CorelDraw-files (.cdr) and I thougt, I could save them by exporting als ai-files, because my cdr-files have a lot of layers.

I think MikeW is right (no content in the ai-file). Something goes wrong when exporting these files als ai.

I have created a very simple file with text and an a rectangle. Same result.

I show you the exporting menue of Corel. Perhaps I make a mistake when exporting.

post-32342-0-28223000-1467473168_thumb.jpg

post-32342-0-28702500-1467473169_thumb.jpg

test-1.ai

excuse my bad English

Hi,

I wanted to upload the Corel-file (CorelDraw X7), but it is not possible.

"You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file"

KoBu

excuse my bad English

Thank you Mike,

your eps-file I can open in AD. I have then exported other files in Corel as eps-files. It works - at first glance.

Unfortunately text wil be altered into single letters (you said it). That means: I cannot properly work with the text.

A dotted line in Corel will be altered in single points !!!!    So I get many many many layers in AD.

Exporting as ai-files: I think it's a fault in CorelDraw (or I make a big mistake somewhere).

So I see no other way than to create new files from the beginning without using existing Corel-files.

Thank's

KoBu

excuse my bad English

Thank you Mike,

your eps-file I can open in AD. I have then exported other files in Corel as eps-files. It works - at first glance.

Unfortunately text wil be altered into single letters (you said it). That means: I cannot properly work with the text.

A dotted line in Corel will be altered in single points !!!!    So I get many many many layers in AD.

Exporting as ai-files: I think it's a fault in CorelDraw (or I make a big mistake somewhere).

So I see no other way than to create new files from the beginning without using existing Corel-files.

Thank's

KoBu

In general, when I am creating content I am doing so for print work. I often don't have a choice as to the layout application. But I often do for the design assets. So I am often free to use what I want to use for these design assets (graphic files).

When I am free to use what I want to, I use whatever individual or combination of individual applications I feel will get the desired results in the least amount of time/effort. In this case, all that matters is the output for placing in the layout application.

However, when I need to return assets along with the layout files in a specific application formats, I use those applications. This may mean even if I use AD or XDP for initial work, I may have need to port it into say AI for turning over assets.

I rarely do any work start to finish in a design application. When I do, these are generally ads or one page fliers or two-page brochures. Porting finished work from one application to another is rarely something I do.

In the case of AD, I may choose to create all future work in it as described above. But I have no reason to move past completed work from say CD or XDP into AD. If I use AD for an ad, etc., it will always be new work. Past completed work, if I need to modify it or recycle it, will nearly always be done in the originating application.

If I were to move something from XDP or CD into AD that I was currently working on, I would deal with the issue of text paragraphs by copying from CD and pasting into AD (or into a text editor then into AD). One reason is I doubt that the paragraph text is going to flow exactly the same.

Mike

Thank you vonBusing

thank you Mike

I tried to export als pdf (as you said) --- and it works insofar as the text will be adopted. I can change the text. Wonderful.

Unfortunately, the layers in Corel will be lost. But you can not have all.

I agree with Mike, that completed work, if need is to modify it, should be done in the original application.

KoBu

excuse my bad English

Large AI file - 45 artboards, 15 Mb.

When I try to open this file:

- RAM and CPU: https://goo.gl/prS8w2

- Affinity takes all free space on the disk C (16 Gb free space -> 0 Gb)

- And nothing at the end (I can't close the app because the file opening in process...)

Affinity Designer for Windows Version 1.5.0.4

Windows 10 x64

Surface Pro 3

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.