You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very slow and needs light coloured GUI

1. Whatever I do in Designer, it's superslow. Even opening a menu takes some time.

2. I can't work with dark interfaces. I always see a mirror image of my face in the monitor. Please give us an option to switch to a GUI with light colours (or simply the default Windows look).

Would be nice if these two things were fixed in the final version.

Agree the ink black interface is an absolute joke, and physically hurts my eyes after a few minutes..

Did the development team think they were being super hip having it so black ?

do they actually test these things on an average laptop screen 

Just started testing on my Win10 laptop.

I positively hate the dark UI and shall not be purchasing AD if it remains like that. In fact it puts me off taking any further part in the beta.

Also noticed some sluggish redraw issues when dragging shapes around. I applied a radial fill with a 3d effect to a rectangle, which doesn't drag smoothly.

Beta installed on 4 year old i5 laptop, performance was slow. Changing the Hard drive to an SSD [cloned OS & applications, no other changes] and the performance is significantly improved. I was surprised at the lack of speed on the initial setup - Win 10 Pro, 8Gb Ram - which suggest that older hardware might struggle. Editing preferences using the sliders feels uncertain and laggy.

Trivial. I don't like the splash screen design, feels like Adobe CC a year or two ago. I like the UI in general.

Congratulations on releasing a strong first Beta.

Mark

Thanks Mark, we've had a couple of reports of the app being slow, and that's far from what we're striving for, so any extra info that can help us track down problems is gratefully received.

What are the rest of your PC specs? We will try to create a similar setup here.

the UI will not be changing during the beta

Is that only during the 1.5 beta, Mark, or will it remain the same until version 2.x?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

... noticed some sluggish redraw issues when dragging shapes around. I applied a radial fill with a 3d effect to a rectangle, which doesn't drag smoothly.

Just trying this now on my desktop PC.  See attached, which is a simple circle with some fill / effects applied.  Dragging the shape around exhibits some significant redraw delays.

This PC is:

Core i3-4130, 3.40 GHz
Win 10 Home 64-bit
8GB RAM
Onboard Intel HD Graphics 4400

drag-delay.afdesign

No decision has been made on future UI design Alfred, but the dark UI will remain throughout versions 1.x.

That's not what I was hoping to hear, Mark, but thanks for confirming my suspicions! :(

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Also for me the UI is much too dark.

Have a look on Monokai Bright theme of Sublime Text (Google "Monokai Bright" and check the pictures). This is also white on black - but it doesn't hurt my eyes.

• Staff

Just trying this now on my desktop PC. See attached, which is a simple circle with some fill / effects applied. Dragging the shape around exhibits some significant redraw delays.

This PC is:

Core i3-4130, 3.40 GHz

Win 10 Home 64-bit

8GB RAM

Onboard Intel HD Graphics 4400

I would expect to see some delay with this document as it has lots of raster effects on that object, Affinity doesn't cheat like DrawPlus as Affinity draws real z-order correct objects all the time with live blend modes. The tool should stay very fluid but the renderer should try and keep up the best it can. This strategy enable you to create very detail designs and edit them live without the objects popoing to the top and non-real editing like DrawPlus.

Yes, I too have noticed extreme tearing and lagging of elements that have gradients and other effects applied to them. When I zoom out to a small thumbnail the lagging and tearing is markedly reduced or no longer there.

Interestingly enough, even just drawing a circle will result is abysmal looking tearing - Affinity Designer cannot keep up with the movements at all.

Similar objects and elements do not lag in Photoline or Xara at all. Photoline does not 'cheat' either: all effects are applied in real-time. My machine is pretty old. I do, however, experience similar draw update issues in InkScape. Perhaps a similar drawing library is used by the developers?

Windows 7 64bit, 48gb RAM, I7 920@3.6Ghz, Revodrive X3 PCI SSD Raid, Nvidia GTX 590 3GB

I too am having slowness issues in general since installing the 1st beta. now installing update and we will see. Also dark interface doesn't work for me.

WIN 10 AMD A8  x64 OS 16G RAM;  Radeon R5 graphics 2 TB HDD

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.